Camera Raw & CS3 question

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When you initially open a RAW file from your camera, in Photoshop you first get a CameraRaw screen with several options (including Recovery, exposure, contrast...). What I want to know, is can you hit 'open image', go in and do more editing, and then access this CameraRaw adjustment screen again, keeping all my current edits?

I'm brand new to using CameraRaw, help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Danny

No, Camera RAW is an "import filter". It processes the RAW image an passes the resulting RGB bitmap to Photoshop. The image in Photoshop is no longer a RAW image. You still have a RAW image on your disk and that can be reopened in Camera RAW and reprocessed, but it will not contain any of the edits or alterations done in Photoshop itself.

Ok thank you, that's what I thought but was hoping!

You can however set bridge to open tiff files in camera raw, which gives you access to those controls again, but it's not the same as processing a raw, really. But photoshop doesn't have a 'vivid' control in a single slider, which can come in handy sometimes and it gives you a chance to monkey with the white balance again fairly easily.

What I want to know, is can you hit 'open image', go in and do more editing, and then access this CameraRaw adjustment screen again, keeping all my current edits?

Yes. Open the raw image in Photoshop as a smart object. When you double-click that layer icon (in the layers palette), the image will re-open in Camera Raw so you can make further adjustments there.

Inside Camera Raw, click the blue link beneath the image and choose this option in the dialog box that opens:

acr.jpg

EDIT (clarification): You want to do this while "keeping all my current edits." It isn't clear what you mean by that.

If you have several adjustment layers above the background smart object, and you re-open the background image in ACR, the effect of those adjustment layer won't appear in ACR. You will see only the adjustments applied by ACR, and you can change those adjustments. All of your edits inside Photoshop will remain intact when you leave ACR and return to PS, so you "keep" them in that sense.

Last edited:
Well said Peano. I knew PsCS4 can open from ACR as a smart object, but wasn't sure if CS3 could also.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back