Camera Recomendation

Blues Singer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,

Can anyone recomend me a digital camera around the £750 ($1000) mark? I was thinking the Nikon D70s, which you can get from eBay for around £750 with an 18-70mm lense.

I'm not sure. Any other good cameras around?

I'm interested in fashion photography and influence by Jelle Wagenaar a lot.

www.jellewagenaar.com

If you're looking at getting a digital SLR then definately check out the Nikon D70s and the Canon 350D. They're the best entry level DSLRs that you can get your hands on, the step up from that (for a couple hundred pounds more) is the Canon 20D. But I'd stick with the other 2 and then spend more on lenses.

Try the cameras out in a shop, turn them on, take them out in the sun and try and use the menus, change all the settings and see how easy it is to do. How does the camera feel in your hand? These are the biggest things I looked at, because both cameras are just kick ass and awesome... and there's practically nothing between the photo quality between the two.

Go to www.dpreview.com and read the comparison between the cameras and you'll see there's nothing between them. You'll get a slightly better kit lens on the Nikon but the Canon one is still ok.
The Canon 350D is also a lot, lot smaller than the Nikon, and it's a little bit lighter as well. But I find the controls on the Nikon more like a 'real' SLR and easier to use. I find the Canon is made for people who have always been using digital cameras. Just with the way you change aperture and shutter speed etc.

But go into the shop and try both out and ignore anything the shop assistant says about one taking a better photo than the other. They're both perfect cameras.

I'm going with the 20D when I get the cash =D. I don't have anything against Nikon's though so don't get me wrong. But I love the 20D. Also alot of camera shops that rent out equipment let you rent something for the weekend and if you end up buying it the charge for the rental goes waaayy down. So that's kinda cool. Might wanna check that out. Hope you find what makes you the happiest =D.

nikon: d70s

canon: 350d*

*the 20d would be better, but you dont really need the extra features, and it's the same image quality (practically) anyways. besides, it's $1300 without a lens.

Both the D70 and Rebel XT are great cameras, but if you're going for the kit lenses, the nikon 18-70 is significantly better than the canon 18-55. Either way, you'll be pretty happy :)

I went with the 20D. Was looking at the Rebel, but I already had an EOS film system so I already had the lenses.

I have been really happy with the 20D.

thebeginning said:
*the 20d would be better, but you dont really need the extra features, and it's the same image quality (practically) anyways. besides, it's $1300 without a lens.
He just might need them, you never know.

Can you elaborate on what setting you're gonna be photographing fashion in? Studio? Street? Runway?

If you won't photograph runway, then you don't need the better autofocus of 20D. Get a rebel and forget about AF at all.

Also, fashion is usually photographed in portrait orientation. Canon offers grips which allow you to hold the camera much more comfortably...

DocFrankenstein said:
He just might need them, you never know.

Can you elaborate on what setting you're gonna be photographing fashion in? Studio? Street? Runway?

If you won't photograph runway, then you don't need the better autofocus of 20D. Get a rebel and forget about AF at all.

Also, fashion is usually photographed in portrait orientation. Canon offers grips which allow you to hold the camera much more comfortably...

I'm interested in outdoor fashion photography, usually from the chest up (portraits). or band photos i suppose.

but saying that i'd be interested in many other things. mainly the ones listed above.

Then go to the shop. Hold both cameras in your hand. See the one you like better.

Come back next week and buy one of them.

Cheers

At the under $1000 level, the D70 (s) and Rebel (xt) both deliver great quality. There are differences, of course, but the camera that "feels" best to you in actual use will help you create better photos. The majority of the photos in my http://www.thephotoplanet.com/gallery are shot with the Rebel (the older DSLR model, not the XT).

Well.... I finally went out and bought myself a camera.... and ta da.... the 350D won for me. I was only comparing between the Canon 350D (Rebel XT) and the Nikon D70s.

The only negative over the 350D that I could find about the Nikon is - It's big and heavy.
The only positive I could find about the Nikon is - ease of use - ie, changing settings is a lot easier on the Nikon than on the 350D.

For canon - Negative was - it's more difficult to change the ISO, WB, Shutter speed.
For canon - Positive was - small and light!!!!

So I just weighed up what I wanted more. I figured an easier to use camera would probably only help me out at the start when I'm learning to use the camera, after that it would all become second nature and it wouldn't matter. Plus I checked with the Canon to see if you can see the changing ISO etc through the viewfinder when you change it, rather than having to use the menus - which I hate!. So once I knew the canon could do that, the deal was done for me. It's lighter and it just looks nicer than the nikon does imo.

But go out try it, find someone who actually has one and can talk you through it, then get a print out off the net of all the negative features of each camera. Go into the shop with that list and check them all out - they might not be that severe. (Sometimes online critics are overly severe I find, and don't actually get out there and take real photos... instead they just sit in a lab and take test shots.)

congrats!

it really depends on you, and how you like the feel and look of the camera too. see meysha likes the 350d because it is small and light. when i get a dSLR, i want it to be freaking huge. not because i am big, but because i think it looks cool.

Most reactions

Back