camera recomendation

They will be about equal. But if you can raise your budget a little,
the Olympus Stylus SP-100, the Panasonic FZ72 and Nikon P600/P610 are better and faster camera than the ones
you mentioned.
Rudi

In this class of cameras I would simply assume a $199 camera would have the advantage over a $67 camera.

Is $200 your top budget? If so, in this or any price range, the best advice is to find a place where you can handle the individual cameras and to look at their controls and menus.

IMO the Canon line has the most easily navigated menus for the average photographer just looking to take good photos without much hassle.

How did you decide on these three models? What priorities did you apply?

Only two priorities, budget and availability in Portugal :sorrow:, my budget is around 200-250 $ , these were the best ones i have found around that price.

Image quality between the three will be more up to you as a photographer than it will be relative to the camera. None of these are standouts as far as photo quality and none are wash outs either.

Zoom power may vary and, to a small degree, low light capability though none of these cameras will be ideal for low light photography.

How easy it is to operate the camera would then be my only other priority and, there I find Canon to be the line with the most experience and the easiest to operate menus.

The Panasonic FZ70/FZ72 is within your budget and the Olympus SP-100 is
round $260. It's worth looking at these cameras too, if they are available in
your country.
If you prefer one of the cameras you mentioned, I'd take the one that you like best,
as there is not much quality difference between them.
Rudi

I would use craigslist to get some awesome deals on older cameras!

5d and lensbaby for 350 ... and there are others.
Canon 5D + Lensbaby Muse

Just an opinion - of which you will hear many :)

I would recommend the Canon's ELPH 340 HS / IXUS 265 HS . Should fall within your budget. High marks for image quality.
Canon ELPH 340 IXUS 265 review | Cameralabs

Unless you need a super zoom. Then you should be able to find a Canon SX50 HS factory reconditioned in your price range.

The SX400IS would serve you well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ask 10 different people "which camera should I buy" and chances are, you'll get 10 different answers every time! Here's mine...in my opinion, it depends on WHAT you want to shoot. For example if your interest is as simple as taking some "vacation snapshots" or just some pictures that you can email to family and friends, than I suspect that any sub-$100 compact would likely serve you well. I forget the model number (and it's downstairs at the moment), however I have a spanky little Sony 16.1 mp compact that's pretty decent...fit's in my pocket and only cost $80 new (and interestingly enough, it actually shoots pretty decent HD video as well). No, it's not nearly as good as my DSLR's, however it does a pretty good job for what it is and I do use it quite a bit (especially for taking pictures of stuff for Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay, etc). Of course if you're more interested in something like wildlife or even sports, a "super zoom" may be a better option. Again I have to support Sony here in that I shot with a Sony H1 for quite a while...by today's standards it's only a 5 megapixel camera, however I've done some GREAT work over the years with that sucker. Many of the super zooms out there can give you a bit more of a feel for what a "real" camera handles like and it's a great way to get your feet wet. On the other hand, if you have more serious or professional aspirations, with your budget I suspect you could find a used Nikon D50 with a decent "kit lens" that would certainly get you headed in the right direction.

I will say that personally I have a grudge against Canon. When my 40D suffered from the infamous "E99" error, I got a 2 month run around with little more than a "bait and switch" attempt from their customer service trying to get me to buy another camera. For what they wanted for the repair or a replacement, after the serious hassle they gave me, I switched to Nikon and haven't looked back...I'll -NEVER- buy another Canon product again. Never.

That said, I do have to second the sentiment of considering used. Without doubt you can get A LOT more camera for your money if you're willing to consider used. The fact of the matter is that technology has moved along so quickly that digital cameras get "out of date" very quickly these days. That's not to say that a camera that may be a few years old is "bad", it simply means that something newer has come along and replaced it! While resources like Craigslist and even Ebay can often warrant a degree of caution for the uneducated, there are a number of very reputable online retailers who offer used equipment, such as B&H Photo, Adorama, etc., and in some cases the used equipment may even come with a warranty! This past week I just snagged a used Nikon D7000 (DSLR) to replace my broken D90 (dropped it while shooting water falls)...the camera is used, but in pristine condition with less than 6000 clicks on the shutter (barely broken in) and it only cost me $380...a SUBSTANTIAL bargain compared to similar new cameras costing as much as $1000 or more and it suits my needs quite well.

So that said...as far as brands go, regardless of new or used, for the low end I personally like the Sony's and for a "better" camera, I'm Nikon all the way...that's what has worked best for me. Either way, decide what you're interests are FIRST, then make your decision based on your own actual needs.

Just my own opinions...I hope it helps!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back