Camera recommendation Best point and shoot (compact) under 350 USD

Trypanosoma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings

I want to get a portable (as much as possible) camera I want the best I could get for up to 350. So far I am considering a

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX7K
Canon PowerShot S110

Both are just below 350 on amazon. A want the best image quality on a compact since I'll be traveling a lot and I like to pack on the light side

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Canon G15 is a slightly over at 385.00. It might be your best bet.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks where can I get it for that price I was checking Amazon (at 449). I am currently outside the US and I would need a store that ships abroad.

Welcome aboard.

You might also consider an older Canon G series if you can find one. The G series is often regarded as one of the best options for a capable yet pocket sized camera.

Thanks a lot!

Any advice on a online store with decent prices. I might go to the US late this year so also a brick and mortar store you could recommend would be awesome.

Hi,

Thanks where can I get it for that price I was checking Amazon (at 449). I am currently outside the US and I would need a store that ships abroad.

I apologize, that was a used price from a private dealer on Amazon. I would hit eBay for the Canon G12-G15. The cameras have a cult following, they are capable of producing some really good stuff

Most of my glass has been bought second hand off eBay or privately. I haven't had any troubles

I, too, am very partial to the Canon G- series point and shoots. That's where I started my digital photography journey with a G-3 and later a G-5.

Why the G-series? It has all the user-friendly scene-modes available, AND it has the familiar P, Av, Tv and M settings as well, and has a hot shoe for external flash. About the only thing it couldn't do was(is) interchangeable lenses, which for traveling light, is not necessary.

Canon G15 is a slightly over at 385.00. It might be your best bet.

Welcome aboard.

You might also consider an older Canon G series if you can find one. The G series is often regarded as one of the best options for a capable yet pocket sized camera.

I, too, am very partial to the Canon G- series point and shoots. That's where I started my digital photography journey with a G-3 and later a G-5.

Why the G-series? It has all the user-friendly scene-modes available, AND it has the familiar P, Av, Tv and M settings as well, and has a hot shoe for external flash. About the only thing it couldn't do was(is) interchangeable lenses, which for traveling light, is not necessary.

I agree about the Canon G, if you want a point and shoot this will be the camera I would suggest.
Of course the G15 is the best and current camera but the G12 is also very good and very capable.
I love my G15, fenominal camera that produces excellent pictures.

Greetings

I want to get a portable (as much as possible) camera I want the best I could get for up to 350. So far I am considering a

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX7K
Canon PowerShot S110

Both are just below 350 on amazon. A want the best image quality on a compact since I'll be traveling a lot and I like to pack on the light side

The LX7 is an excellent camera and you can't go wrong with it. Another camera to consider is the Samsung EX2 because of the fully articulated screen (and a better screen than any of the other contenders).

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had a S95 for three years now and LOVE it.
I just got a S110 and love it even MORE!
It's noticeably faster. From off to on and from shot to shot.
I went with the 110 instead of the G15 because of the size; the S110 fits in my front pocket and I forget it's there.
The IQ and manual controls are great and the 'scenes' are fun to play with.

If you're looking for compactness, I highly recommend the S110.

Thanks all for your kind answers. So far the consensus is in favor of Canon. So I might go for the S110 since is 100 USD cheaper than the G15

Thanks all for your kind answers. So far the consensus is in favor of Canon. So I might go for the S110 since is 100 USD cheaper than the G15

S110 shared some things with the G15, it is a much smaller camera but I think is geared more toward the casual user while the G15 is really much more directed at the photography fan.
The G15 really is a mini DSLR in a P&S body, I would go with the G15 and I think is well worth the money difference but the S110 as I said is an excelled and capable camera.

S110 shared some things with the G15, it is a much smaller camera but I think is geared more toward the casual user while the G15 is really much more directed at the photography fan.
The G15 really is a mini DSLR in a P&S body, I would go with the G15 and I think is well worth the money difference but the S110 as I said is an excelled and capable camera.

Would you say that the G15 is well worth the extra 100 bucks?? I want something decent since I'll be doing lots of traveling, also are they any good in low light settings??

Would you say that the G15 is well worth the extra 100 bucks?? I want something decent since I'll be doing lots of traveling, also are they any good in low light settings??

G5 with its faster lens makes it worth the extra 100 but its larger. Most of these enthusiast compacts wont perform even closely to DSLRs in low light. They are still using relatively small sensors. This was the reason why I mentioned micro 43rds... they fall between these compacts and DSLRS in terms of performance and features. On the other hand, its all about your expectations. Are you talking 400iso or 12800iso? From what I have seen out of compacts, the EXR Fujis and RX100 seem to be ahead in this area but I believe both are out of budget.

Most reactions

Back