Camera recommendation - looking for a unicorn

Chester11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey folks:

New to the forum - and I am pretty far down the rabbit-hole, so figured I would try the beginner area.

I am using a Canon T7i that I am really happy with. My photos are finally improving after a few years of hit and miss.

The issue - I have kids, and the T7i is just too much to carry out and about. So I am missing opportunities to shoot outside. (I have lost count of how many times I have used a camera phone and been annoyed with the pictures).

I am torn between a mirrorless like the Canon M100 or M6, Sony A6xxx and say a point and shoot like the Sony DX100. (Many sites recommend the Fuji X100 - which I am also considering).

I like the Canon system just because of comfort, would prefer an articulating touch screen, and the option of using a viewfinder (because my near vision stinks). The downside - I do not want to buy a bunch of M series lenses that I cannot use on my T7i. An adapter is an option, but then how much size / weight am I saving? (Another option is a Canon SL2 where I can use my existing 22mm lens).

Price is low - since this is a backup. I am looking used or refub, say 400-500 max. Video is a low priority, but I probably will shoot some.

Does this exist? I am at the point where a camera phone is not good enough, but not at the point where I want to drop $1k on a backup.

Any help?

Sounds like you need a compact camera. The latest models have some amazing features, and the prices are reasonable. Look for a brand name, optical zoom, video, standard batteries and SD cards, and if you don't want to peer through a viewfinder, get one with live view on the back, and maybe a touch screen.

Start drooling here:

The best compact cameras in 2019: cameras big on quality, small on size

I had more or less the same requirement as you for my second camera, and ended up with a Panasonic GX9. Mostly because I found an offer that was too good to be true (GX9 + 12-32 + 25 f/1.7 + 45 - 150 for the same price as body only, and then I sold the two zooms). Nevertheless, I'm really happy with it!

With a pancake lens it should fit in most jacket pockets, and the physical controls are way better than what I'm used to at this size and price point.

I had more or less the same requirement as you for my second camera, and ended up with a Panasonic GX9. Mostly because I found an offer that was too good to be true (GX9 + 12-32 + 25 f/1.7 + 45 - 150 for the same price as body only, and then I sold the two zooms). Nevertheless, I'm really happy with it!

With a pancake lens it should fit in most jacket pockets, and the physical controls are way better than what I'm used to at this size and price point.

Interesting - so you kept the 12-32? I'll check it out.

OK. So first consider that you have a Canon setup.
So unless you want to go all out on a new system, I would stick with the Canon.
The T7i is not a bad performer at all and there may be a technique issue because it has many of the same performance as the 70D.

With that said, understand this:
All EOS lenses can be adapted to a mirrorless, but NOT the other way around. this is due to the extremely shallow focal distance of the mirrorless system. A 35mm SLR is typ. 44mm mounting distance. (Bayonet mount on camera to image plain.) The mirrorless is more like 20mm. Because of this, the EOS lenses can be adapted well, the M series, not so much.

Secondly, I would be considering the reasons WHY your shots are not coming out whereas the cell phones are designed to be idiot proof and the only thought is literally point and shoot over technique which regardless of the system used will result in poor images.

The number of times that someone thinks that a higher end or diff. format camera system will change the photos. It doesn't.

Interesting - so you kept the 12-32? I'll check it out.
I kept the 25mm f/1.7. The zooms didn't really interest me. The 20 mm f/1.7 is probably the best fit for me and my use, but as for now the 25 mm will do.

Thanks folks - good recommendations here.

It's really a cost question - I don't want to drop tons on a new camera, when I could be buying lenses for the T7i.

Hey folks:

New to the forum - and I am pretty far down the rabbit-hole, so figured I would try the beginner area.

I am using a Canon T7i that I am really happy with. My photos are finally improving after a few years of hit and miss.

The issue - I have kids, and the T7i is just too much to carry out and about. So I am missing opportunities to shoot outside. (I have lost count of how many times I have used a camera phone and been annoyed with the pictures).

I am torn between a mirrorless like the Canon M100 or M6, Sony A6xxx and say a point and shoot like the Sony DX100. (Many sites recommend the Fuji X100 - which I am also considering).

I like the Canon system just because of comfort, would prefer an articulating touch screen, and the option of using a viewfinder (because my near vision stinks). The downside - I do not want to buy a bunch of M series lenses that I cannot use on my T7i. An adapter is an option, but then how much size / weight am I saving? (Another option is a Canon SL2 where I can use my existing 22mm lens).

Price is low - since this is a backup. I am looking used or refub, say 400-500 max. Video is a low priority, but I probably will shoot some.

Does this exist? I am at the point where a camera phone is not good enough, but not at the point where I want to drop $1k on a backup.

Any help?

Don't compromise on the viewfinder requirement. I recently got a Fuji XF10 and it's a great camera with excellent photo quality and features... as long as I have my reading glasses on but I am totally blind with both the controls and the lcd when I am without them. I wish I had gotten the X100f and may trade mine in towards one at some point.

• My vote would be for the Canon SL2, which is quite a small single lens reflex, and perhaps look into the three Canon pancake style prime lenses. I have recently seen the 24 mm F 2.8 pancake on Amazon for only $99 which is a 50% price reduction from what it used to be several years ago. I believe there are three Canon ef-s style pancake Primes.

I think you are right to want to acquire more lenses, and it only makes sense that your light-weight camera uses the same lenses as your main camera.

Thanks - I have the 24mm (mistyped 22mm above), and highly recommend it to someone just starting out. It's a great lens, and I use it a lot. On Halloween night, I found that I need a bit more reach, and was thinking of picking up the 40mm or 50mm also. Any recommendation there? I really like the pancake lenses but will listen to all recommendations. (I already have the kit lens - 18-55, 18-135, and 24mm)

Costco has a pretty good deal on the SL2 - $649 with three lenses (18-55, 50mm, and a 75-300). I may pick it up and use it to walk around. The zoom would be a nice addition.

I am an agnostic in the long-time "Nikon vs. Canon" wars. While I'm a longtime Nikon user and have 3 Nikon bodies, I understand and respect decisions to go with alternatives. And I tend to think that once you've got a body/make that you are used to, switching to a different make is usually stupid.

That said...I suggest you look at one of the Nikon D3xxxx or D5xxx series combined with their 35mm f1.8 DX lens. The D3xxx and D5xxx series don't have internal auto focus engines in the bodies--they rely on the lens to have an autofocus motor for AF to work. So that makes those series of Nikon bodies cheaper, smaller, and lighter. The 35mm DX f1.8 lens is extremely small and light and inexpensive (for instance, I just checked and the top prices I saw for a D3100 and D5100 were $199 and and that 35mm DX lens sells for $160 or less). And for what you want to do, the 35mm DX f1.8 is superb. As I said it's small and light. It is good in low light where you can't use a flash. It will produce some lovely bokeh. Nice for landscapes. And the body/lens combo is light and small enough to throw in a purse or diaper bag or even some fanny packs. It would come close to matching the size and weight of most mirrorless systems--only a simple point and shoot is going to be smaller or lighter.

Thanks - I have the 24mm (mistyped 22mm above), and highly recommend it to someone just starting out. It's a great lens, and I use it a lot. On Halloween night, I found that I need a bit more reach, and was thinking of picking up the 40mm or 50mm also. Any recommendation there? I really like the pancake lenses but will listen to all recommendations. (I already have the kit lens - 18-55, 18-135, and 24mm)

Costco has a pretty good deal on the SL2 - $649 with three lenses (18-55, 50mm, and a 75-300). I may pick it up and use it to walk around. The zoom would be a nice addition.

don't get that bundle with the 75-300 ! not a good lens, the cheap 55-250 at $199 is much better.
But do look at the mirrorless options - Canon M50, M6II, etc.
mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter and can easily use your DSLR lenses

I use the older Canon M5 mirrorless
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Last edited:
Why don't you check out the EOS M50? It is an excellent mirrorless camera and is super-compact. You can also go for a compact camera like the G7 X Mark III or the G5 Marx.

E50 is surprisingly small - they had one at costco as well. I may look for a used one.

Thanks all.

Most reactions

Back