Camera Recommendation Please

chawni1956

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm new to this site.
Can you suggest a good (and easy) DSLR camera for a beginner? I'd like one that I can "add to" as I get better (like lens). I'm TRYING to keep the cost no more than $500 if possible. I know next to nothing about TRUE photography and its on my "bucket list. ;) Thanks in advance!

Look at a Canon T3 or a Nikon D3100 with a kit lens ... that'll be an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 -- which zooms from a moderately wide angle to a very moderate telephoto (nothing extreme) but it's a good every-day lens just to get started.

You should be able to get either of these new for less than $500.

Both of these are Canon & Nikon's respective entry bodies.

I would recommend Nikon D3200 with its kit lens 18-55mm VR
Good basic camera you can grow into, I wouldn't get anything below that as it will be too inferior in low light.

Look at a Canon T3 or a Nikon D3100 with a kit lens ... that'll be an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 -- which zooms from a moderately wide angle to a very moderate telephoto (nothing extreme) but it's a good every-day lens just to get started.

You should be able to get either of these new for less than $500.

Both of these are Canon & Nikon's respective entry bodies.

I have owned a T3...very nice entry level camera but you can't go wrong with either. Tim offers great advice, if you are going to be an active member of the forum looking to learn like myself I suggest reading his advice as it is usually VERY thorough and detailed.

Consider used, for people are always upgrading. At some point you will need more computer storage for all these high megapixel images. An external HD is something else you should consider.

I found a used D3100 Nikon on Amazon for $369.00. The seller has great ratings and its free shipping. Opinions?

What's in the Box
D3100 digital SLR camera body; AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens; EN-EL14 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-24 Battery Charger, DK-5 Eyepiece Cap, DK-20 Rubber Eyecap, AN-DC3 Camera Strap, BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cover, BF-1B Body Cap, ViewNX 2 CD-ROM

Yup, go for that one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back