Camera recommendations, please

brianne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

I am seeking advice on what camera brands/models to look at buying (I know this is a common question, bear with me.) This would be for professional use, not just "I want great pictures of my family." Here are a quick few things I am looking for:
- Digital (I already have a film camera, before anyone objects, ha)
- Ability to change lenses
- Needs a tripod/detachable flash unit mount on the bottom
- I primarily shoot black and white, so I want good contrast in the shades. However, I'm looking to move to color so I want to be able to produce really vibrant color WITHOUT using photoshop or any other software. This is the key point I'm looking for.
- Most of my photographs are landscape shots. I'm moving to people shots to sell once I know more about the legal aspect
- Pre-programmed settings are fine, but I also want the ability to go full manual.
- As for battery life - The longest trips I would make at this point would be a weekend. I would like to be able to take only one or two batteries to last a few days
- Memory cards - I don't think I'll need anything higher than an 8G card, so a camera that can support that much should be fine
- What I'm producing - I want pictures that will be large enough to print on anything from an 8x10 canvas to something that can fit half a dining room wall, so to speak
- No need for video
- I'm looking to keep it under $1500, maybe can stretch it to $2000. I'm trying to save money for the lenses.
- I don't care about brand name or appearance of the camera itself

I know my way around a camera pretty well, as far as making adjustments for different settings. But I know nothing about the hardware itself, or what produces what, so need help with that part. Let me know if I've left anything out. Any advice at all on the technical aspects of the different cameras out there is appreciated, or links to sites that provide good education on such things.

Thanks everyone!

Most all recent DSLRs will do all that you need. Go to a camera shop and see which one fits your hands and price the best. Don't forget about extra lenses.

First of all, I think this would be better posted in the equipment forum. Perhaps a moderator can move it?

I would submit that what you need to do is study. Based on your list of requirements and questions, it's clear to me that you do not know a great deal about cameras, especially modern DSLRs.

A few thoughts: All digital cameras take colour pictures. They have RGB sensors, they HAVE to take colour pictures. B&W conversions are done with software. NO picture is ever as good as it can be straight out of the camera. You will need at a minimum, a RAW handler and an editing application (Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CS being the industry standards respectively).

All modern DSLRs have a hot-shoe (for a top-mounted speedlight) and a tripod mount. The mounting plate is specific to the tripod you use (which is a piece of gear you've neglected on your list).

You can never have too many batteries or memory cards.

While it's a debateable point, my belief is that a DSLR is limtied to the size of print it can produce. I feel 16x20 is pushing it. Larger than that, you're into MF.

My suggestion is to join a local camera club and/or take some night courses and get bring your knowledge level up to the point where you're more familiar with the equipment and processes before spending $2000, only to find out it's not what you want.

It's true, I do not know much about digital cameras specifically and how they work. Most of my experience is with film. I have a digital point-and-shoot that I use for fun, and am trying to transfer my professional work from film to digital. Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit and need to start with the basics - i.e. find a book or two on how digital cameras work, learn the vocabulary, etc. Thanks for the reminder, I get ahead of myself sometimes.

And my apologies if this thread is in the wrong place. Joined this site this morning, and still learning.

- I'm looking to keep it under $1500, maybe can stretch it to $2000. I'm trying to save money for the lenses.

There's no "pro" camera you can get at this price range. But there are very good cameras you can get.

Personal recommendation. D7000. If Nikon is not your thing, Pentax K-5. There's nothing on the Canon side that I would recommend... I'm personally not a fan of the 60D and I think the T3i is a little too "unpro" for you. I guess when the 7D mark II comes out or the 8D or whatever it is called, get that. But really, I think if you buy a camera that's not the lowest of the entry levels (i.e. D3100, T3 etc.) you should be fine. You seem to know very little about what you're actually looking for in a camera (even my Flip Ultra has a tripod mount...). Everything you've listed aren't exactly "features" more like... they are more like "qualities" and "characteristics" of a DSLR... any DSLR.

Professionals do not ask for advice on what camera to buy. Professionals go online and do research for gear the can afford. And professional cameras range about $2000 to start just for the motor.

You can do 16x20 comfortably on a crop sensor. Anything larger is pushing it for viewing from 3 feet away IMO. But TI is right, if you plan on selling professional landscapes, you might look into medium format. And that blows your budget.

For an affordable full frame sensor, check out the Canon 5D. I think it would be a good starter rig for landscape and fits your budget well, allowing for a lens, tripod, and card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back