Camera Repairs

MikeRuby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, not entirely sure if there is a better section for this but here goes.
After having a few family mishaps, or general wear and tear, grandparents have an old DSLR,
and been given a compact.
Both now seem to be broken. Obviously ill need to see what are the current price for both cameras to see if its worth doing,
but what would you recommend for camera repairs?

Is it only worth repairing DSLRs and Mirrorless, or would you still pay to get a compact repaired?
Also what would you look out for in a company? Only local, or fine with courier services?

Hey guys, not entirely sure if there is a better section for this but here goes.
After having a few family mishaps, or general wear and tear, grandparents have an old DSLR,
and been given a compact.
Both now seem to be broken. Obviously ill need to see what are the current price for both cameras to see if its worth doing,
but what would you recommend for camera repairs?

Is it only worth repairing DSLRs and Mirrorless, or would you still pay to get a compact repaired?
Also what would you look out for in a company? Only local, or fine with courier services?

Well really it depends a lot on how much the DSLR might be worth used and how much it will cost to repair. If it is an older DSLR depending on what's wrong with it you might be able to replace it for less than what it would cost you to fix, in which case it wouldn't make sense really to pay to have it repaired unless it held some sort of sentimental value. The same would apply to the compact camera of course, most likely with the compact odds are good it would probably cost less to replace than it would repair.

Do you know the nature of "broken"? I think the big risk here is that in both cases, a repair could easily exceed the value of the camera, but it's really difficult to say without knowing what's wrong. In my experience, most repair places charge a flat diagnostic fee that may or may not apply to the cost of the repair, but if you can arm yourself with even the foggiest idea of what might be wrong, you'd be in a better position to guess one way or the other.

Thanks guys.
Well i think i remember the DSLR costing them quite a bit at the time, but many moons ago, think even over £600+
With that one, i really have no idea. Dont want to mess about with it too much in case i make it worse :/

Was thinking maybe just getting it taken care of, and giving back to them as a "present" of sorts.
While on their PC recently saw this favorited but never got to ask them if they had actually used the site.
But thats why was more asking if there is any "tells" to look out for in repairing.
I know they courier, so i havent got to run about in the car, checking if they have bothered to do it yet lol.

With the compact, im going to try and replace the battery pack first, see if that fixes anything.
Then its just deciding whether its worth seeing if that is going to work out getting repaired, and seeing how good of a job they do,
before sending the DSLR.
Or just go ahead on getting that done, and just get a new compact. hmmm

Most reactions

Back