Camera Setting Help.

That's going to depend on the capabilities of your camera. Concerts aren't really that great to shoot unless you have a camera capable at shooting at 1100ISO or higher with very little grain. Long exposures won't work because there are too many circumstantial changes to the environment, and fast shutters on low ISO will be dark and underexposed. So, I hope you have a decent camera body, because you're going to need it :)

What exposure setting is good for concerts and events.

YOUR going to have to narrow that question down a LOT. Concerts and events can be held in countless different conditions, inside, outside, daytime, night time etc etc etc.

You do understand that there is no one unerversual settings that is going to work in all environments and conditions right?

ISO 3200, f/8, 1/125.

Note, however, that this setting may or may not work under the conditions you are shooting. It may be too much for someone in the spotlight, and too little for someone in the audience. Maybe you should ask a different question: how to determine the right exposure to use in a dark (or bright) showplace environment. It also depends on whether you're shooting from the nose-bleed section or on stage. Tell us more about what you're trying to do and what equipment you are going to do it with.

ISO 3200, f/8, 1/125.

Note, however, that this setting may or may not work under the conditions you are shooting. It may be too much for someone in the spotlight, and too little for someone in the audience. Maybe you should ask a different question: how to determine the right exposure to use in a dark (or bright) showplace environment. It also depends on whether you're shooting from the nose-bleed section or on stage. Tell us more about what you're trying to do and what equipment you are going to do it with.

Would that not get the same results as ISO1600 f/4 1/125?

Why the need for such a high ISO?

Ok concert wise wiill be mostly indoors. I have a d5100 with 18-55 lens. For event photography mostly outdoor with a d 5100 and 18-55 lens.

Ok concert wise wiill be mostly indoors. I have a d5100 with 18-55 lens. For event photography mostly outdoor with a d 5100 and 18-55 lens.

You've got the same sensor as my camera. And I'll tell you this much. You don't want to shoot at 3200 ISO with it. It's not terribly grainy, but you won't be happy with the results

It's still going to boil down to the conditions. Don't take this as trying to pile on or pick on you, but when you ask "what settings?" it means you don't understand exposure. Exposure is the right combination of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed for your given conditions. They will vary from shot to shot. So you can't really ask for settings.

In general terms, you will use a higher ISO and bigger aperture to get a shutter speed to produce acceptable sharpness. I hope this helps a bit.

You've got the same sensor as my camera. And I'll tell you this much. You don't want to shoot at 3200 ISO with it. It's not terribly grainy, but you won't be happy with the results

That's the first I've heard this.

What I am trying to do is have a baseline before I go to the events or concerts so if need be so I can do minor tweaks.

You still dont get it. Your camera and lens have nothing to do with it. Each and every situation is going to be different. Your camera has a light meeter I sagest you learn how to use it to meatier the light when for each situation and continue to meeter the light as you shoot because lighting conditions do change from one moment to another.

That's the first I've heard this.

DxOMark - Nikon D5100 vs Nikon D7000: same sensor, same results
Does Nikon d5100 has same sensor as d7000? - Yahoo! Answers India

Have you been hiding under a rock :p

It's one of the first things I learned about the D5100.

I guess you didn't know that the D5000, D90, and D300s all have the same sensor either?

The D60, D80, and D200 also all have the same sensor.

Last edited:
It's still going to boil down to the conditions. Don't take this as trying to pile on or pick on you, but when you ask "what settings?" it means you don't understand exposure. Exposure is the right combination of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed for your given conditions. They will vary from shot to shot. So you can't really ask for settings.

EXACTLY! The only person you could ask is a photographer standing next to you at the event. And if you do that they are going to look at you funny.

Study the exposure triangle!!!

EXACTLY! The only person you could ask is a photographer standing next to you at the event. And if you do that they are going to look at you funny.

Study the exposure triangle!!!

It would still be different unless the guy next to him was using the same camera.

I use to own that camera and around ISO 1600 was as high as I would go if I wanted good pics. This may be different for you, I suggest you look through your images and determine what the highest ISO setting you would be comfortable with and set your camera to Auto ISO and the max ISO you decide on. Than I would set the camera to S mode and set your shutter to 1/125 and the camera will so the rest for ya. There is a good chance that this wont work out on your first attempt and than you will either have to raise your max ISO in Auto ISO mode or slow your shutter speed down to 1/100 or 1/80, bearing in mind that ever change you make to one of these setting you are giving up something in exchange for a good exposure. higher ISO = more noise and slower shutter = more motion or camera blur. If you think this is all to much for ya and you just want some pics than you can just set the camera to AUTO, or No Flash Auto and snap away and when you learn about the exposure triangle than try your hand at the other modes. It really is not that difficult when you understand it, and best part is when you finally get it you wont have to take crap for asking about it anymore :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back