Camera slow while taking photos

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I know my camera is old, but I want to learn on this before deciding what my new one will be. Today I was shooting RAW plus JPEG and practicing bracketing. I am trying to practice something until it is second nature and move on in order to learn the camera. Anyway, I took 3 shots, started to take a different view and the camera froze. The light indicated it was busy. It was 32 degrees and my battery is old. I have a Canon T2i. Is this normal, my camera, my battery? I guess I need to slow down using RAW. Thanks.

Raw files are MUCH larger than JPEGs, so it takes longer to write them to the memory card. That, and possibly you've got a slow memory card to begin with. Maybe your camera only has a 3- or 4-shot buffer.

Thanks. I'll check the SD card. I now remember it was one I just threw in for practice photos. And an older one.

If you are just practicing bracketing, why not just shoot in RAW or better just JPG, rather than RAW+JPG? The smaller the image file, the faster it will get written to the card. RAW + JPG is the worst of the 3 options, as you are writing a LOT of data to the card.

Hi. I know my camera is old, but I want to learn on this before deciding what my new one will be. Today I was shooting RAW plus JPEG and practicing bracketing. I am trying to practice something until it is second nature and move on in order to learn the camera. Anyway, I took 3 shots, started to take a different view and the camera froze. The light indicated it was busy. It was 32 degrees and my battery is old. I have a Canon T2i. Is this normal, my camera, my battery? I guess I need to slow down using RAW. Thanks.

This page has some information from test shooting that we might look at: Canon T2i Review - Performance

With a relatively fast for the era SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/second 8 GB SDHC card, Buffer clearing time was measured as 5 seconds for 10 large/fine JPEG files; 9 second for 6 RAW files; 9 seconds after 3 RAW + Large/Fine JPEG files.

Again, for the era, that was a "fast" SDHC card...so...there you go...the camera itself was not super-duper fast, and if it was working with a slower than 30MB/second card, you'd have some time delays.

For the life of me I can't understand why folks shoot raw+jpg. If I want raw for flexibility later, I can generate jpg or more likely tiff from the raw in an automated bunch using Photoshop.
BUT, 90% of the time the jpg is plenty.

For the life of me I can't understand why folks shoot raw+jpg. If I want raw for flexibility later, I can generate jpg or more likely tiff from the raw in an automated bunch using Photoshop.

RAW + JPEG is often used when someone is transitioning from JPEG to RAW. The JPEG out put is what they are used to and means that they don't feel they are "wasting photos" whilst still learning how to work with RAW photos. Many will eventually either shift fully into one or the other will will choose to use each one as the situation requires.

Professionally many will use both as a means to be able to produce both file types fast. A JPEG which can be used moments after capture and provide a good usable result; whilst the RAW is there for further editing for later. Sports would be an example where they'd want JPEGs ready to go almost instantly to be send to the editor; whilst a RAW might well be useful later on for further sales/promotional use of the photo where editorial limits are not an issue.

You answered your own question.

It was mostly my SD card. I have a faster one in now. Still can't do rapid shots, but much, much quicker. Thanks.

It was mostly my SD card. I have a faster one in now. Still can't do rapid shots, but much, much quicker. Thanks.

If you fill the buffer, you have to wait for the camera to move the files from the buffer to the card.
So even with a fast card, the buffer size will limit you, and maybe that is what you are now running into.

If you are bracketing, you should use single shot mode, and not burst. Check that the noise reduction function is off. I had a similar 'problem' with my old Canon, when exposure times exceeded 1 second. Putting in a faster card will only help, if the card roughly matches the writing speed of your camera.

I have the t2i and had the same problem. Switched to Samsung Evo 64GB memory cards. Now get about 6 shots before hitting the buffer. In JPEG only, more.

Most reactions

Back