Camera Storage Help?

5kywalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there everyone,

Was wondering where can I get like second hand dry box or dry cabinet to store my camera and equipment?

Or is California dry enough for me to not need one?

Thanks for reading!:wink:

I'm not sure what you mean by a dry box...but I would think that the climate in most of California wouldn't harm a camera.

If you are worried about humidity, just put some desiccant into your camera bag.

you could use a Pelican case... that would offer you quite a bit of protection and they are water tight...

but I don't think you need to worry about Cali humidity like you would for say, a high end acoustic guitar or such...

you could use a Pelican case... that would offer you quite a bit of protection and they are water tight...

but I don't think you need to worry about Cali humidity like you would for say, a high end acoustic guitar or such...

Hi there, I'm actually located at Irvine. The dry box I was mentioning is it known as dry cabinet? Those electrical cabinets that removes moisture.

Thanks guys!

Hi all,

I would like to expand on 5kywalker's question:

How many of you actually store your photo equipment in a special environment? Can you also include the relative humidity in your area, since we are talking about the risk of mold developing on your lens? As with every thing I have to ask: are humidity-controlled cabinets really needed and if so when?

What I mean is that this is yet another thing everyone new to the matter eventually hears about and is encouraged to invest in by everyone who gets to make money out of it, but how justified is the need for it? I can see the benefit of it, but what's the risk of it actually happening?

We all live in the constant danger of different things happening, say, that a meteor might fall on someone's head (and every once in a while it does), but I don't see anyone wearing a hardhat. This is all about risk management and so far I haven't seen a single figure, not even an approximation, to tell me what the risk is so that I can decide if it is justified.

I live in San Diego about 90-100 miles south of irvine. There is no need to store your camera equipment in a dry box. It is never humid enough to damage your equipment. As a matter of fact, it is quite the opposite. It is way to dry. I am the owner and collector of fine violins and violas. I keep them in Humidified cases because the wheather is usually far too dry and that can lead to cracks in the wood. I can promise from experience your lenses and other equipment will not mold or fog.

Stick your gear in the vegetable crisper drawer of refrigerator and slide the humidity control to "LOW." Done! A perfectly controlled climate. :lol:

Stick your gear in the vegetable crisper drawer of refrigerator and slide the humidity control to "LOW." Done! A perfectly controlled climate. :lol:

Hi there, this sounds like quite a great idea! But there is food in there. I guess I'll just leave it inside my bag as I thought it might be a little more humid than what the camera can take. I currently have a D200 with 18-200mm lens so I guess it can withstand the humidity. My hands are drying up though, may be a good sign for the camera. :D

Naaaah, I'll just put it next to the potatoes and be careful not to use it for french fries.

Hi all,

I would like to expand on 5kywalker's question:

How many of you actually store your photo equipment in a special environment? Can you also include the relative humidity in your area, since we are talking about the risk of mold developing on your lens?

We live near Cincinnati, Ohio. Also know as he Ohio river valley. The humidity here (AKA humdity) is always high. If not today, it will be tomorrow. This is year round, but the spring, summer and early fall are usually wet. Maybe not with rain, but the humidistat will tell you why you sweat and it's only 65 degrees. I store most my gear in a gun safe that I have added weather sealing to the door. I also have a couple 2 lb. boxes of silica gel to absorb moisture. It stays down under 30% as long as I don't open it much. My daily gear is in a Pelican 1600 that has a tin with silica gel in also. It is a small tin, so it doesn't keep it as dry as I'd like and it needs recharged about once every 3-4 weeks. (just bake in oven for several hours @ 275 to recharge)

Watch the weather channel and see what your humidity is at any given time. I bet it is 30% or below a majority of the time. I know we here in Az average 18%.

Watch the weather channel and see what your humidity is at any given time. I bet it is 30% or below a majority of the time. I know we here in Az average 18%.

Oops! Just went to check the online humidity for Irvine, just found out that it's about 80%! Hmm... I still need to get some form of storage for it... Sighz... :er:

I believe it became abundantly clear that not a single person reading this thread uses a humidity-controlled cabinet for their gear. Those of you who are in high-humidity climates use silica gels to remove moisture from your storage container of choice. I believe I will do the same.

Oops! Just went to check the online humidity for Irvine, just found out that it's about 80%! Hmm... I still need to get some form of storage for it... Sighz... :er:

I live in Dana Point which has higher humidity then Irvine and yes if you walk outside and the humidity is 80% that could be due to the rare stormy weather we have been having for a week. This is not something you need to worry about. It is raining outside and I have static in my hair! That should tell you something. Unless you are keeping your camera on the front porch I am pretty sure you will be ok. I came from the east coast and never stored my camera in anything but my camera bag and never had a problem. If you are not familiar Md is over 50% humidity on a regular basis.

Unless you plan on moving to a tropical island in the near future I think you are good to go:mrgreen:

Have you gotten any shots of the amazing cloud coverage we have had lately?

~Shell

Here is the cheapest solution if you live in humid, hot & dusty places. For the last 32 years it has prevented my cameras, lenses, accessories & miscellaneous gear from fungus, lens element separation,
general rot of rubber, leather, plastic, inside camera/lens lubricants etc. These are air/water tight army surplus ammunition boxes - $ 3 each on the local flea / scrap market. I dunked one box in water the whole night. It was completely dry inside. See photos attached. Oops - I don't have a URL. Contact me on veedughar at gmail dot com for photos please for this wonderful solution.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back