Camera storage

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I take my camera everywhere I go. I bring it in every night when I get home from work. If I leave it in the car while Im at work will the cold weather hurt anything ? It is in a case and I usually put a blanket over it so nobody can see it. I just wasnt sure how it would take being in the car for 8 hrs in the cold. Thanks as always for your feedback.

It might kill your batteries, but other than that it should be fine.

It won't kill your batteries but they won't perform well cold, like under 32 degrees, until they warm back up

Other than what's been mentioned, you may find it missing as well.

I left a lens in the car overnight a week or two ago. Brought it in the next morning, it had a considerable amount of condensation on it. Just the outside, if I remember, but I had to wait for the glass to warm up before it would stop accumulating condensation.

The only thing that will do anything is bringing your camera in and out of the cold on a very regular basis. This will cause condensation. If that ever happens, just take the lens and filters off, and leave it in a warm room overnight, should clear everything up.

If you plan on using the camera after work, take the battery inside with you. This will keep it warm.

Im not worried about that. You have to have a key card to get in the gate and there are like 20 cameras overlooking the parking area. But if it wasnt for that I wouldnt do it.

The only thing that will do anything is bringing your camera in and out of the cold on a very regular basis. This will cause condensation. If that ever happens, just take the lens and filters off, and leave it in a warm room overnight, should clear everything up. ...

While this will work, prevention is better. Unless the camera is waterproof the condensation can lead to corrosion and subsequent failure. If you seal the cold camera in a tightly fitting waterproof container (simple ZipLock bag, ...) before entering the warm environment, the condensation will form on the outside of the container/bag and not on the electronic circuits.

The only thing that will do anything is bringing your camera in and out of the cold on a very regular basis. This will cause condensation. If that ever happens, just take the lens and filters off, and leave it in a warm room overnight, should clear everything up. ...

While this will work, prevention is better. Unless the camera is waterproof the condensation can lead to corrosion and subsequent failure. If you seal the cold camera in a tightly fitting waterproof container (simple ZipLock bag, ...) before entering the warm environment, the condensation will form on the outside of the container/bag and not on the electronic circuits.
Agreed. In the winter I carry one of those big, black, plastic garbage bags in my camera bag for just this purpose. If the camera and I have been in cold for any length of time, the entire camera bag goes in the garbage bag and stays sealed up overnight.

Most reactions

Back