Camera Upgrade help

Crushy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade my current set-up, and i'm looking for some help. I need a body with a high FPS, because I will mainly be shooting action sports like skateboarding, surfing, and snowboarding. So far, it looks like the best choice would be the Canon 7D. My budget would be right about $2500, and I wouldn't be opposed to picking up something used either. I compared the 7D to the Nikon d300, and it seems to be much better all-around. I also won't be upgrading till probably about the end of summer if that makes a difference.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

I have no experience with the d300, but the 7D is an excellent sports-body. The only issue for you, I see, is that $2500 won't leave you much to spend on glass after you've bought the body. Surfing photographers tend to want long glass (400mm or longer) and that can be pricey!

Since you are canon, I would just stick with canon. However, with your budget I would focus more on glass. Perhaps something like the 50D and a 70-200 f/2.8 would suit you far better. Or you can get the 70-200 f/4 with the 7D and sell your 70-300 to help offset the costs.

You can get the 7D and a 70-200 f/4 for about $2900. After selling the 70-300 that should be around your $2500 range.

50D + 70-200 f/2.8 will be about $2800, and again you can sell the 70-300 to offset some of that cost to meet your $2500 limit. This is what I would suggest :thumbup:

Having a faster/sharper lens will make more of a difference than anything.

Most reactions

Back