Camera Upgrade Need Advice (D80 to D7100/D7200)

Q4kntmare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a D80, which I've owned for almost 10 years. I have been saving gift cards and such and now I am ready to upgrade. I have been looking at the D7100/D7200, but unsure which would be the better option at this point.

I wanted to get opinions on the D7100 versus the D7200. I currently have enough money to purchase the D7100, but would probably need to wait awhile to save for the D7200. Is it worth waiting and getting the D7200, or is the difference between the cameras small enough to just get the D7100?

For a quick note, my local store is running a deal with the D7100 with 18-55 lens, 70-300 lens, camera bag, Wifi Adapter, and 32 gig card.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

I'd probably go used/refurbished D7100 and skip the "deal"

all the lenses on your D80 fit the D7100/D7200.

So getting another 18-55 is a waste of money, and you probably dont need the bag, or wifi adapter. the SD is nice, but im sure they aren't offering up a 95mb/sec card...

Of all the money I have saved up, unfortunately it is all to the "Local" camera shop (mikescamera.com).

You are correct in the lens piece, I do not need either of them or the bag. The card is a class 10 speed. I had thought of selling both of the lenses that came with the kit. But unsure at this point.

I also might have the ability to sell my D80 (not worth much) and see if I have enough for the D7200.

Also, the 18-135 lens I currently have is the original kit lens from the D80.

I've had both, still have the d7200. If you need the camera to be able to shoot big bursts of raw files, your better option is the d7200.

If you are a jpeg shooter, or don't need fast raw bursts then there is not much between them. The newer one has WiFi and nfc but to be honest I've used neither yet. The d7200 can focus in a little darker places and I have found the focus to be a little more confident generally. Both are great cameras, the d7200 is slightly better but it's not "the price of a lens" better.

As you used the D80 for 10 years then I might expect you to use the D7xxx for 10 years. The buffer is a big issue and a reason I never picked up the D7100. I think the difference in RAW files in continuous is 6 vs 18 shots. And that 6 shot buffer (one second of shooting in Continuous high) on the D7100 can drop quickly if Auto ISO and some other options are turned on.
The slightly better focusing that jaomul mentioned is also a nice feature on the D7200.

Of course price is always important and either camera would be a nice replacement for the D80.

I've been to Mikes Camera in Boulder, nice store, and bought a few accessories and parts there. They have the D7200 body for $1100. I would go for that and then look for a used 70-300 VR if you want that lens.

It sounds like the D7200 is the better bet overall. Especially since I will have this camera for 10 years (I hope not).

Any idea what my D80 is worth?

Thanks!

Your d80 is probably worth more to you to keep, even if just to have something in your car, than to sell. I'd say you'd struggle to get 150 dollars for it

I've had both, still have the d7200. If you need the camera to be able to shoot big bursts of raw files, your better option is the d7200.

If you are a jpeg shooter, or don't need fast raw bursts then there is not much between them. The newer one has WiFi and nfc but to be honest I've used neither yet. The d7200 can focus in a little darker places and I have found the focus to be a little more confident generally. Both are great cameras, the d7200 is slightly better but it's not "the price of a lens" better.
Very eager to know did you notice any significant low light performance advantage of the D7200 over the D7100 ?

Very eager to know did you notice any significant low light performance advantage of the D7200 over the D7100 ?

Hi goodguy. I think the d7200 seems very slightly better, more so in the iso 400-3200 region where the d7100 seemed like it could get noisy sooner. But to be honest if it is better,its marginal, and it could be just the fact that when I got rid of the d7100 I was using older bodies that were no way as good at higher iso than either the d7100 or 7200, so when I got the d7200 I realised how good it is. Its probably an inaccurate or "through rose coloured glasses" conclusion, the differences being very small at best

Hi goodguy. I think the d7200 seems very slightly better, more so in the iso 400-3200 region where the d7100 seemed like it could get noisy sooner. But to be honest if it is better,its marginal, and it could be just the fact that when I got rid of the d7100 I was using older bodies that were no way as good at higher iso than either the d7100 or 7200, so when I got the d7200 I realised how good it is. Its probably an inaccurate or "through rose coloured glasses" conclusion, the differences being very small at best
Thanks for feedback

Most reactions

New Topics

Back