Camera Walking

fwellers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fwellers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many people carry their camera with them most places ?
I've seen lots of shots of all kinds of subjects and scenarios here. I think there really is no way, in a lifetime, to take what I want to take, unless my camera is with me most of the time.

That being said, I understand that many take their backpack or large camera case with them to work, or leave it in the car etc..., but when you are walking about, looking for shots, walking about on vacation, walking in the woods, whatever, what do you bring ?

Do most wear a holster type big enough an extra lense and SB ? Do you just carry the camera naked around your neck with a strap ?, do you carry your backpack ?

And if you carry a backpack, do you constantly take it off to get to the camera ?

How about traveling on the airplane or train.

I need some real world experience to decide what kind of bag(s) to get. I'm going this morning to look at the local camera shop, and thinking a larger bag, and a holster option might be the ticket.

What do you all do ?

I went down to the local military outlet store and got an Iraqi map bag (it's like a messenger bag). It's ok for carrying a camera (D300) with a lens on it and maybe 1 or 2 other lenses but I wouldn't use it if I were going to be walking around town for a day. There's no padding at all.

I'm not being any help here.

I, too, am interested in getting a good walk around bag for my camera and a huge lens (70-200 2.8) plus 1 or 2 other lenses and a flash.

I went down to the local military outlet store and got an Iraqi map bag (it's like a messenger bag). It's ok for carrying a camera (D300) with a lens on it and maybe 1 or 2 other lenses but I wouldn't use it if I were going to be walking around town for a day. There's no padding at all.

I'm not being any help here.

I, too, am interested in getting a good walk around bag for my camera and a huge lens (70-200 2.8) plus 1 or 2 other lenses and a flash.

Yea I have lots of bags, but none of them have the camera padding in them. I assume that's necessary, not sure I'd like my dslr and lens just flopping around loose in the bag with no padding either.
I was thinking of getting some camera padding and doing one of my bags up like that, but ...........

I've seen people make their own bags by using the padding and sewing it into the lining - if you're going to be doing some heavy walking though I would consider buying a really nice bag. Tamrac makes a killer backpack

If money were no object, I'd get a bunch of bags, and see what works, which actually is usually what I wind up with over time, because I make bad choices. <smirk>

btw, nice website. I like your forgotten faces gallery.

it really depends how and where you are going.
For myself I have used a shoulder bag and a backpack - I prefer the shoulder bag for ease of access to kit - you can swap lenses whilst just standing there; however its not as good if your using heavier and larger kit since it puts all the weight on one shoulder, and after a short while that can really start to take its toll, and constantly shifting shoulders is a pain.
So with heavier kit I much prefer a traditional backpack since it distributes the weight more evenly however it has the downside of being slightly slower to change lenses with - you have to stop and change.

Some people also use belts or harnesses for carrying kit about and changing on the fly - these might be of use to you if you carrying lighter and smaller kit.

In the end its really what works for you best in your own situation - I prefer backpacks most of the time since I carry about 8kg (or something there about) on the back its fine you hardly notice it, on a single shoulder though.....
Were I using lighter kit a shoulder bag works perfectly fine - I used my kit lens and a sigma 70-300mm out of one for ages without problems

One tip - if you want a bag that can hold a tripod avoid the ones which have the tripod held on the front - go for ones which hold it on the side and balance that weight with heavy stuffon the other side of the bag. When I use my bag with my tripod the weight increase is very considerable since the tripod is held on the front of the bag - and thus is held a good distance away from my back - this means its further from my centre of gravity and thus acts as a greater amount of weight

Thanks for the tips Overread.
I went out today, and after spending an hour in the store, looking and trying everything, I came up with this:
http://www.naneupro.com/products/mo-l/#

It's the military ops bag. It doesn't look so military, just looks like a small briefcase really, but it works well. Went out to Redskin park and shot some pics with it. It's pretty easy to just unzip the top, and remove or replace the camera, lens down, right in the slot. It holds just what I need for now, which is just the camera, kit lens, sb600, power supply, and odds and ends. I'm sure I can also fit another lens in there when the time comes.

So for where I am in photography, I think it'll work out well.

Where is that store located in NOVA? I might want to come take a look at those bags

I was looking at the Alpha - looks like it might be what i need for my street walking

Where is that store located in NOVA? I might want to come take a look at those bags

I was looking at the Alpha - looks like it might be what i need for my street walking

Put this in google maps.
Ace Photo
44710 Cape Ct.
Suite 122
Ashburn , VA , 20147 United States
703-430-3333

They have what I would consider a very big selection of almost all the major brands. All kinds of bags from very small accessory pouches to the top of the line Booq and Crumpler, LowerPro, Tamrac, Nikon, Cannon, Tenba, etc...
I was a little disappointed I was hoping to see the Think Tank Disguise series, but they don't carry Think Tank.

For hiking, or quick outings where I just need a little bit of gear, I have the Lowepro Rover II AW Holds one body, three -four lenses, flash and lots of odds & ends, plus a tripod carrier, but not meant for quick access. If I need more gear, I carry the Lowepro Magnum AW. Two bodies, four - six lenses, flash, and room for filters, etc. Great bag, easy access, but heavy when full. For air travel, there's only one word: Pelican.

Here's a name I've heard around the press photographer's world: Domke.

I have mine with me most of the time, for daily use I have a small bag I picked up at Jessops in the UK about 12 years ago, it holds my D40 with kit lens, a 70-300, flash (Santa is bringing me an SB unit), SD cards, filters and cleaning equipment in a nice small package.

When I don't have that with me I always have a P&S in my pocket.

Untitled-1.jpg

What did I do? I sold a bunch of stuff and went to a smaller system. I have/had tons of bags and never could find the perfect one.... till I realized that the bag wasn't the problem but the equipment inside.

We all may give photographers with P&S a hard time... but you have to admit, its easier for them to carry their camera ALL the time. Its nice to see the high-end P&S survive and progress a little the past couple years.

I look back at some of the stuff I carried and I am thinking... "did I really need all that?"

I bring a camera, a lens, and a spare battery and memory card. No need for a bag. Leave the other gear at home. You're not going to get every shot anyway, and it is liberating to have only one focal length (or range, if you use zooms.) I only bring extra lenses if it's a real photo trip, like when I went to Cambodia. But if all you're doing is running an errand or spending a few hours shooting, then leave all the other crap at home. Better yet, get a compact camera. I have mine with me all the time, fits nicely in my briefcase during business hours (So does my Leica M8 with 35mm Summilux.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back