Camera's and Editing Software

rmlane123ca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I am wanting to get into photography. I've always wanted to do it but never had the time. Now I feel is the right time to start so my question is what is the best camera to get, and what is the best photo editing software?

Better question; what is the best way to ask a question that can actually be answered?

Hello. I am wanting to get into photography. I've always wanted to do it but never had the time. Now I feel is the right time to start so my question is what is the best camera to get, and what is the best photo editing software?
What kind of pictures do you want to make?

This is going to be a very broad answer for a very broad question.

What's the best camera?
There really is no best since the tech is always evolving. So is there a best right now? Short answer yes, but it depends on the criteria you judge by as to which camera will come to on top so lets make it more simple.
Figure out what type of photography you want to do. Then look into what type of equipment is required i.e. long focal length, studio lighting etc. Then go and try out the camera bodies that are in your price range. If you have questions about these models that you've narrowed it down to, you will get more accurate answers since I'll bet at least one member here has owned one.

Now for the Nikon/Canon debate. Each make cameras that can capture amazing images so it mostly comes down to what you like or what lenses are available.

Now that I've not really answered your question. I'll answer the one you haven't asked.
Will I be able to take great photos with (insert make model here) camera? Well, yes. If you are willing to learn the basics of whatever type of photography that you are interested in, you can take some great shots. The photographer takes a great picture. The camera only records it.

Oh and welcome to TPF.

P.S. I'm still a noob so take all of the above with a grain of freshly mined salt.

.. what is the best camera to get, and what is the best photo editing software?
I think a digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) is a good starting point. I'd look at a Nikon D3200 or higher, depending on your budget. Start with the one lens that normally comes with the camera body, and then plan on getting a speedlight, a tripod, and a few other things.

I use Aperture3 on my iMac. Lots of folks use Lightroom. Photoshop is available by monthly subscription, and will require more learning time.

Better question; what is the best way to ask a question that can actually be answered?
Ah, very good! The best way in my opinion is to be very specific, and if it includes a photograph, then post the photo.

The more specific your question, the better the answers. If you don't know enough to formulate your question, just give it your best shot, and say that you don't know how to word the question. Try to post your question in the forum that most nearly matches the question.

I'm not trying to be snide here...but the best camera is the one you have with you. So you have to do some thinking about what you want to shoot, how you move about and what you carry, how willing you are to be encumbered by a bunch of stuff. Let me give you an example...a camera phone may be the "best" camera for you. Or a point-and-shoot. Or a low-end Nikon (that doesn't have a motor in the body so it's smaller and lighter).

If you're asking which camera is technically the best, that's an irrelevant question for your purposes. First, the glass (or lens) matters more than the camera when we're talking about DSLRs. Second, even a basic prosumer model will do things you will never use. Asking "what is the best camera" is like asking "what is the best computer" or "what is the best car"...partially it depends upon what you use it for but also, the answer is likely to be something that isn't practical for you.

As for the best software....that depends upon what camera you have, how much editing you like to do (do you envision spending 30-60 minutes working on one image? Or doing a bunch of quick but basic edits like crops, saturation, brightness)? And what computer system do you have?

A camera with interchangeable lenses.
One with the focal lengths that you want to use.
Not expensive.
Functions that you will use/want.

... if you are just starting out, you really do not know what you want/need.
It took me many years to figure out what I wanted from photography ... and (as many will say) is a constant evolution in style and equipment.

If I were to start out in photography now I would pickup whatever I could afford in a camera body, wide and telephoto zoom lens ... then figure out if I need anything more/better after experiencing it.

Actually, I would wait for Pixelmedic to give away a starter camera system.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back