Cameras and Humidity

supernpr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I am a begginer photographer just learning the ropes. This is also my first post to this forum (history in the making;)). Hope you guys bare with me as I am pretty much learning as I go. Anyway, my first question I have is geared toward you photographers who have done this for many years. As silly as it may seem, this question is important for me to know. So here it goes.

When shooting in summer months (or in states like Florida) where the humidity is rather high, and your living quarters are air conditioned, what is the best way for your equipment to not "fog up" when getting ready to shoot outdoors when your expensive camera has been in an AC environment?

I appologies in advance if this has thread has been posted before. I only ask because I am concerened of moisture buildup in my lenses, and the camera itself. Two years ago on my honeymoon in Florida, it took awhile for my point and shoot to get aclamated from an AC resort room to the humidty outside. Somebody told me if "fog" builds up overtime, you will have enough moisture in your camera to do damage. Something I would like to avoid.

Any advice anybody can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Nick

I put my bag out in my garage to acclimate for an hour before doing anything. If it's a shoot I put the camera there 2 hours early in my trunk or in a safe place to acclimate.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a terrarium pad. Plug it in and everything int he bag is warmed.

That's a good idea. An electric blanket would work too.

Of course in the winter the problem is just the opposite, the gear fogs up going from outside to inside.

Another tactic to keep from fogging up is to put your gear in ziplock bags so the humid air can't condense on your cool stuff while it is warming up outside.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back