Cameras and the weather

ichiro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to know how sensitive are cameras to weather conditions (film and digital)

For instance I live in Montreal, and we have -10 C, sub -32 F weather. Is it safe to use cameras in below freezing? And are they okay in rain, snow. Obviously Im hesitant, as I havent bought my camera just yet, but I want any feeback.

Thanks

Define 'cameras'? Film or digital? Old or new? Etc.
Generally rain inside the camera or lens is not a good idea. Unless your camera is water-resistant I would attempt to shield it from the rain, maybe make a plastic cover.

Battery life is dramatically lowered in the cold.
I carried my spare in my pants pocket to keep it warm.

I bought the Nikon D200 for exactly this reason. It's got weather seals all around the inside and when used with a lens which has a rubber seal it should be resistant to a lot of things. I have used mine in -20C I have used it in 40C, it has been in the desert, in a dusty storage shed, and in the pooring rain.

One thing to remember digital cameras are very sensitive to dust and moisture. Whatever camera you buy do not expose it to instand differences in temperature or condensation could form on the sensor and it's all over. So if you have a camera bag put it in the bag before going inside and don't take it out till the bag slowly warms up. Also don't take the lens off in dusty areas as dust particles stick to charged CCDs when the shutter opens.

For some resistant tips:
The D40 D70 D80 and D100 have plastic bodies, D200 (has weather seals too) D2X (if you have the money) are metal.
From Canon the 300D 350D 400D and 30D?? are plastic, the 20D 5D and 1D are metal. If I recall.

Not sure about the rest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back