Cameras you haven’t bought....yet.

star camera company

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
the nice thing about being a collector is that you never are finished. So, what cameras are n Your future? My short list of future buys include a Graphic Number 0, a Dunker long roll 35mm school Camera, a Kirk Stereo Camera and a Mercury 1 . Deep back on the list is a Rollei Old Standard And a Compur Leica.

Rolleiflex 3.5E has been in the back of my mind off and on for multiple decades. I have also thought of buying a Leica M3 double stroke.

So many cameras I'd love to shoot a roll or two with, but would make no sense for me to own. I guess there must be some place to rent classic cameras.

I’d like to rent my two working UR Replicas for a daily walk around in Wetzlar. Sweet $200 per day for life. Hmmmmm

Only cameras in my future are ones I still get from customers.......for free.......:icon_cheers:

Last week I got 2 more folders and a Pentax Spotmatic F. Plus 2 more 8mm projectors, one that looks mint and came with the box/instructions.

I don't collect, but I would like to get a hold of a Minolta CLE and a Contax G2.
I remember our store having a demo Contax G1, and I ran some test rolls through it ... ah, quite a nice camera in the hand (though the AF wasn't the best).

Rolleiflex 3.5E has been in the back of my mind off and on for multiple decades. I have also thought of buying a Leica M3 double stroke.

Both cameras I own and have used extensively. For 35mm the M3 and 50mm Summicron is a fantastic combination, always made excellent images, unfortunately it gets little to no use these days because I rarely shoot 35mm.

My 3.5E2 is near mint despite it's age I was given it in the late 1990s by a family friend who'd bought it new and ut less than a dozen films through the camera, all the lubrication had dried out and the shutter fired every other frame. It was a few years before I had it serviced and began using it since then it's been perfect.

My major issue is I mainly shoot large format 5x4 and some 10x8, I found that prints from 35mm don't sit well alongside those from LF negatives, so I was rarely printing my 35mm shots. I began shooting MF (6x6) alongside my LF kit and can use these images alongside the LF work.

Ian

Fuji GX617, man I'd love to try one of those. Of course a digital back would be superb, but I'd settle for film.

A 617 might just be the only camera I would consider buying. A customer of mine at the photo store will not sell me his.....LOL

That 6x17 aspect ratio gives a LOT OF negative/slide real estate!

I was working on a large project for an exhibition in the early 1990's and realised some shots could only be made with a 6x17 camera, or maybe with a cine camera. Lack of funds prohibited these shots as I didn't have the equipment but the gallery curator wanted to commission additional work, she left for a more prestigious gallery, and a succession of full time and temporary curators ment the additional work disappeared. Bigger galleries book & commission work 2-3 years in advance.

So it was a few years before I bought a 6x17 camera, I use it sparingly but when I do it's worth it, I only use a 75mm lens, although I have a cone for a spare 90mm lens. I've mainly used it in Greece and Turkey, also Peru at Machu Pichu, it's an amazing format that needs careful thought.

As to cameras I would like a Kamera Werks Praktica IV, but also a CZJ 75mm f1.5 Biotar for my Kamera Werks Praktina(s). I already have a near mint CZJ 58mm f2 Biotar :D

Ian

Screenshot_20200315-220048_Google.jpg

During the seventies, I bought my first medium format camera. A Mamiya 645 (all my savings used for it at the time). It has been my pleasure for over 25 years before breaking down permanently with no hope of repair.
I would like to buy again a working copy of this item which was my faithful companion during all these years.
I loved it and I still love the photos I made with it

A sample....

portrait gitan 2.jpg

I like to only purchase cameras I find in the wild (although I will buy the occasional lens on ebay) the hunt is half the fun for me. Ive been looking for a Linhof Technika (any variant, preferably vintage). I finally found one in the wild a few weeks ago but it was way to highly priced for what it was, the hunt continues.

As a collector I dream of owning a Jaeger LeCoultre Compass camera. Amazing little jewell.

Most reactions

Back