Lensmeister

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
Website
www.lensmeister.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this shot of the Hollywood sign last month but as you can see it's washed out from the haze/smoggy due to the heatwave. This shot was done using a UV filter as well and I can't think how to get the colours sorted out

Can anyone help please ?

sign1.jpg

Thanks in advance.... :)

It's a bit rushed, especially around the edges of the tower and hills etc, so I'm sure some clever bu**er with a tablet & graphics pen will be able to do a better job ;)

sign1copy.jpg

Technique was as follows (I use Photoshop Elements 4, so it might be slightly different using CS):

1. Selection of foreground using 'magnetic lassoo' - I then feathered this selection slightly, and saved the selection.

2. Used levels to correct brightness / contrast / gamma etc for the foreground

3. Inverted selection, and used levels again to correct the contrast of the background - this helped remove some of the haze. I wasn't worried about the sky burning out, as I was going to create a new one later.

4. Used 'Colour Variations' to remove some of the blue colour cast of the haze.

5. Set my foreground colour to white, and background to a nice sky blue, then created a new layer called 'sky'

6. With the sky layer slected, I used Filter/Render/Clouds to create a blue sky with nice white clouds.

7. By reducing the opacity of the sky layer slightly, I erased those parts that were covering the land. I then used Image/Transform/Skew to pull the top corners of the sky out and create a perspective effect.

8. Used levels & hue/saturation to improve the colour of sky layer, and reduced its opacity slighty to blend it with the background.

9. Flattened image, final check of levels, then a little sharpening.

Hope you like! :D

polarizer filter helps here too, it will reduce the moister thats apparent in the air.

The levels in photoshop are heavily influenced by the presence of the foreground, which is well exposed.

Use the magic wand / selection tools to select the 'hazed about section' (or select the forgeround the select -> inverse and then adjust the levels independently.

Does that make sense? All useless if you don't have photoshop of course

Most reactions

New Topics

Back