Can anyone tell me...

photo_boi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what caused this line on my photo? I know the line shows up visibly on the negative, but I don't know where it came from. The line runs thru about 10 negatives. Oh, also on this pic, near the bottom-right are a serries of dots. These run thru 2 negatives. I have no idea where they came from.

The photo is here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43983041/

I took this pic, developed, and enlarged it myself in class...and the teacher didn't really have an answer when I asked him.

[EDIT]: I just realized that earlier, I posted teh wrong link. I just reposted the right one. ^_^''

Hi and welcome to TPF...three things come to mind, 1. it was a defective rol from the factory, 2. when you rolled your film on to the reel, did you use your finger to insure no buckling was occuring, and 3. After you took it out of the dev. can, did you use a sponge or rubber squeegee to wipe the water off the film? A sponge sqweegee tends to collect dirt particles easily and is not as easy to clean as the smooth edge of a rubber one. Any one of these could cause the scratch. As for the bubbles, did you agitate while dev. the film? Lack of agitation is the most common reason for bubble marks on film. It happened to me several times, particularly when wipping it down with the sqweegee. Anyway, there can be a number of reasons, but the three I mentioned seem more likely.

Michael Humle said:
Hi and welcome to TPF...three things come to mind, 1. it was a defective rol from the factory, 2. when you rolled your film on to the reel, did you use your finger to insure no buckling was occuring, and 3. After you took it out of the dev. can, did you use a sponge or rubber squeegee to wipe the water off the film? A sponge sqweegee tends to collect dirt particles easily and is not as easy to clean as the smooth edge of a rubber one. Any one of these could cause the scratch. As for the bubbles, did you agitate while dev. the film? Lack of agitation is the most common reason for bubble marks on film. It happened to me several times, particularly when wipping it down with the sqweegee. Anyway, there can be a number of reasons, but the three I mentioned seem more likely.
Well...

1. possibly. lol
2. When I rolled the film, I only used my fngers along the edges to buckle the film makin it a tad easier for me to feed into the reel.
3. I used a sponge squeegie. I'm a photography student and it's the only kind they have at school.

As for the "bubbles" at the bottom. Yes, I aggitated. And, they are rather linear...freaky. xDD

Lastly, thanks for the help. And thanks for welcoming me. ^_^

This usually results from some foreign matter along the film path that scratches the film as it is advanced.

Put a negative under a microscope, about 50X, and determine if the problem is a physical disturbance of the emulsion or an effect within the emulsion itself.

Thanks to all of you for your info and help.

Torus34 said:
Put a negative under a microscope, about 50X, and determine if the problem is a physical disturbance of the emulsion or an effect within the emulsion itself.

I'll try this in class tomorrow. ^_^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back