can anyone

When Nikon started producing AF lenses, they wanted their new AF bodies to be compatible with their old non-AF lenses. So Nikon decided to use a screw ball ... I mean screw drive AF which contains the AF motor in the camera body rather than in the lens. This is not the route Canon selected. Anyhow as it turned out the screw drive AF though worked fine, was loud and slow, at least comparing to Nikon's new AF-S lenses with the SWM motor. The silent wave motor, SWM, is the AF motor built-in to the lens. It is silent as its name implies and way faster in achieving focus. Though you can still buy some of the old screw drive AF lenses now, eventually Nikon no doubt will switch exclusively to the AF-S design which is simply superior. At that time there would not be a need for any AF motor in the camera body. In the meantime if you buy a basic Nikon body they don't come with the AF motors which to me is not a major handicap. You can still manually focus if you mount a screw drive AF lens on a D3000 or D40, etc.

ok ill not look at it that way thnx

Lakerss808, here is some advice. One, please learn to spell and use correct grammar. You are the future and as I see it now we are screwed. Two this forum is NEVER a replacement for PROPER research. Also chances are if you can't spell and make sense you should not, in my mind, own a camera like an DSLR. You are already having problems with it and you haven't really started yet. I don't mean to be an ass or push you away. As I always advocate young enthusiasm in the arts. But as it stand you don't seem mature enough to handle the responsibilities.

If I remember correctly Nikon makes 29 lenses with a built in motor. Adding in all the off brands (like Sigma and Tamron), you have quite a few lenses to choose from.

dont kick yourself.
youll be fine. :thumbup:

dont be mad man, there are plenty of lenses that will autofocus with your camera. just not old ones. the d40 is an extremely capable camera. GREAT to learn on and now you can invest all that money you saved on a body into better lenses!
perk up. post some pictures.

Well said, thats pretty much what I was going to say when I read the notification.

You have some great lens choices with your D40, and theres no point spending another 500$ just for an autofocus motor built in. Go shoot have fun and make the best of your decesion. :thumbup:

Lakerss808, here is some advice. One, please learn to spell and use correct grammar. You are the future and as I see it now we are screwed. Two this forum is NEVER a replacement for PROPER research. Also chances are if you can't spell and make sense you should not, in my mind, own a camera like an DSLR. You are already having problems with it and you haven't really started yet. I don't mean to be an ass or push you away. As I always advocate young enthusiasm in the arts. But as it stand you don't seem mature enough to handle the responsibilities.

Never mind...

The deal about the focus motor is a non-issue. Canon doesn't make ANY cameras that have a focus motor in the body.

Not to start a flame here but just want to place this comment in perspective :D

Canon does not make cameras with in body auto focus motors because their EF and EF-s lenses have the motors in them already.

It is an issue to some beginners looking to buy an entry level camera because nikon bodies without built in motors in them are the entry level dslr's and lenses with motors in them are more expensive than those without :D

however it is a Non issue if you don't mind manually focusing some of those lenses :D

hope that came out rightfully respectful :D

to the OP:
d40 is a very capable camera. learn to shoot with it and i'm sure you will be wowed and be satisfied :D dont bother with lenses yet because you really dont know where photography will take you since you are still starting :D have a feel for it. go shoot and have fun :D

Sure I like to see good spelling and grammar on a forum, but the way I see it these things have no relation to the ability to own a DSLR.

Also, what responsibilities are you talking about? It's not like owning a pet or something...

The deal about the focus motor is a non-issue. Canon doesn't make ANY cameras that have a focus motor in the body.

Not to start a flame here but just want to place this comment in perspective :D

Canon does not make cameras with in body auto focus motors because their EF and EF-s lenses have the motors in them already.

It is an issue to some beginners looking to buy an entry level camera because nikon bodies without built in motors in them are the entry level dslr's and lenses with motors in them are more expensive than those without :D

however it is a Non issue if you don't mind manually focusing some of those lenses :D

hope that came out rightfully respectful :D

to the OP:
d40 is a very capable camera. learn to shoot with it and i'm sure you will be wowed and be satisfied :D dont bother with lenses yet because you really dont know where photography will take you since you are still starting :D have a feel for it. go shoot and have fun :D

Canon's AF lenses all have built-in USM (ultra sonic motors) and Canon thus never had any screw drive AF lenses...to Canon's credit for sure. Ever wonder why for a while all sports photographers switched to Canon and you see a ton of gray tele lenses? That's because Canon's AF lenses with built-in motors focused so much faster than Nikon's screw drive AF lenses. So in my opinion Nikon made a critical error when they started producing AF lenses!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back