Can i balance my elinchrom model light to daylight temp?

thepixies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
shooting with keno lights, and would like to use my elinchrom heads as a bit of fill, they are however a warmer color (not sure what temp standard model lights are) can i gel these bulbs to daylight or replace them with a daylight bulb?

You might get a daylight bulb, but elinchrom's replacement bulb shows to be 90 volts which might
-maybe someone who actually knows how much an extra 20 volts or so will change the color temp will chime in-
play merry hell with trying to balance things.

Bulbs would be easier if you found the right ones but Derrel seems to have the best answer.

Gelling tungsten to match daylight loses a couple of stops. It's easier to gel daylight Kinos to tungsten (because you only lose about 2/3 stop going that way) or, much better, switch out the Kino daylight-balanced tubes for tungsten-balanced tubes. The latter would be the common way to do it. One of the reasons we like Kinos.

if you can live with the 2-stop loss, then gelling the tungsten is OK of course. You would usually use 'Full CTB' gels (color temperature, blue). Generally the blue channel will be cleaner if you shoot in daylight rather than tungsten, but that is a relatively minor issue, and it may be a non-issue in many cases.

'Kinos' are Kino-Flo lights, for those of you unfamiliar with the brand. Famous for their fluorescent lamps and lights.

Gelling fluorescent tubes is easy, by the way. You gan buy or make slip-over gel tubes for the purpose and gel individual tubes, or you can gel the entire fixture. No heat issues to speak of usually, unlike with tungsten lamps, for which you need to make sure that there is adequate ventilation between the lamp and the gel.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back