"Can I have a copy of that wonderful photo?"

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a bit of rant and it has gotten worse over the years.... part of the double edge sword of digital...

I have two offices (ok.. cubes).. that have my photos posted to remind me of the important things in life (my family) and the things I enjoy in life (my photography). I get lots of wonderful encouraging comments from some wonderfully nice people. All love my photography....

Ever since digital, people have seen photography as something that is easily duplicated with little to no charge or value. As such, many come by and ask if they can "have" a copy of this or that... usually on CD or by email. Those who know I have a capable digital darkroom go as far as requesting specific size of prints.

Is it just me or is it a bit annoying and rude? I know they have good intentions but if someone spent time and effort to make a craft, build a computer, or something they would not just walk up and say "Can I have that?". Why does photography not fall in the same category?

So far, I haven't figured out how to address them.. usually I say something like "If I have time to dig up the photo" or quickly change the subject. On the other hand, there are some that come up asking for a copy and in the same breath offer me something in return.... like buy me lunch or offer some sort of payment. I almost always follow through and with a smile knowing my work is hanging on display. Quite often, I turn down their offer of payment and do it for free just because they offered.

Anyone else feel the same?

How about "Sure, here's my website address where you can order it in sizes up to 8x10." :)

For family (and some friends) I do give them free prints (or files). Really, it's not like I'm going to do anything else with them...and the prints don't cost much. I sometimes put my name on it, just for the little bit of advertising.

I don't have 'coworkers' asking...but I can see where it would be annoying. Maybe you could put up a small price list in your cube...then when someone asks...just refer then to the list. Or, go ahead and give it to them, but make sure your name and number/site are visible...good will and being friendly can go a long way. You never know, some of those people might mention you to their friends and family, which could turn into business for you, if that's what you want to do.

There's nothing wrong with charging for your work if you want. When someone asks about a print have prices already figured out; "Sure I can sell you an 8"x12" print. It's $__ for just the print, or $__ framed and matted."

Whether you charge or give it away for free, graciously accept the flattery and attention. It's much better than being ignored.

If it's some stranger I'd charge them. But in cases of friends especially my recent panorama of Brisbane I made, I simply asked them what their screen resolution was, added my signature to the photo, and send them over that. I get some good exposure in the process.

I had a complete stranger in one of my classes come up and congratulate me a while ago after seeing the wallpaper on my friends computer. Best of all the resolution is often too small for decent prints.

How about "Sure, here's my website address where you can order it in sizes up to 8x10." :)

I agree. It hasn't happened to me yet, but most people who know I'm into photography know that I sell my work. Maybe your coworkers just don't realize you're more than just another happy snapper. You could make up some business cards and when someone asks to have a photo, you can be friendly and gracious, but hand them a business card. Then whether you sell it or give it away, they'll more likely view you as a "photographer," to be respected, instead of "this guy at the office who takes great pictures," who may not even have a name.

Nope. "Whats your email address, I'll send it to you".

If your work is that precious that you need to attach a dollar sign to it - then sure, charge them for the "annoyance of a person being so taken by your work that they want a bit of it themselves". . .

True ANDS, but some people here rely on taking photos as a source of income, if not primary then secondary. Being nice and polite is one thing, not getting what you're worth is quite another.

True ANDS, but some people here rely on taking photos as a source of income, if not primary then secondary. Being nice and polite is one thing, not getting what you're worth is quite another.

:thumbup:

But (i like but's) - I didnt get that vibe from the OP. If you're a pro, or at the MINIMUM suppliment on a regular basis your normal income with photography - hell yes you shouldn't feel bad about letting people know that your prints cost.

But, if someone asks me for copies of photos Ive taken - I tell them sure, you provide the CD/medium device - and Ill get to em when I get to em. It happened when I brought back pictures from a camping trip (teacher wanted copies after seeing them on my comp), and from my trip to Japan (coworker wanted a cd of shots she saw) - in both I simply told em. . .gimme email or gimme cd.

This happens to me sometimes. I personally just give it to my family and close friends. But sometimes there's random people in class that ask me for prints. Although some have given me a good reason like "I love photography and I'll even tell people about your Flickr account" so in that case it benefited me.

It is always a nice feeling if you are not a pro to be asked for a copy and know someone appreciates one of your images. Friends and relations get sent whatever they want - gives me the freedom to photograph family events and a bonus last Sunday being the official photographer at grandson's first Communion with 14 other candidates. I provided images for all the families which my son is distributing on discs for all - BUT I ended up with pictures of Thomas for our family that I wuld never of had the chance of getting normally. Views of the village and cathedral have gone for charity and the best raised for one so far is £110 at auction. I can use them as my way of saying thank-you or when asked "how much" i say give a donation . . .

If I give away prints, they're 5x7 or smaller with my name on it. If they want something bigger/no name, or both, they have to pay for it.

If you're not a pro - meaning you earn money off photogrpahy, you can't expect people to pay you for your hobby. They know very little about photography, and probably think they're making you a compliment by asking you. If you're really that strapped for cash explain to them the cost in making a print from an image you've already captured and processed - i.e. time, paper, and ink.

Nope. Although I have made some bucks with prints in the past, photography has never been a source of income (although given the opportunity... hmm).

Perhaps it is just me... Perhaps it is the way I am approached.. but I would never just walk up to somebody, point, and say I want it or a copy. This applies for anything.. If I needed my neighbor to cut my lawn one weekend, I would approach with the intention of asking a favor which implies that I intend on returning the favor ( and no he's not a pro-lawn cutter). There is a difference between "While you are at it, please cut my lawn." and "I have a favor to ask, I need my lawn cut." If I liked someones picture, I would approach complimenting the photo and asking if I could offer something in return for a print.

In fact, several people offered me lunch... which I always came through with a print.

The problem I feel lies within the "cheapness" and "reproducibility" of today's world of quick fast easy digital world. I never had this problem during the days of film only. A woodcarving I have on my desk wouldn't garner the same request. Yet my photos and the software I have running on my laptop(s) always attract people looking to "copy". (Everyone wants a copy of MS office or photoshop).

I guess it isn't the fact that people admire enough to request a print. Its more like requesting a print because they know it is "free" to copy. Just as pirated software doesn't give respect to the efforts of the development team, simply asking for a copy of someones craft (photography, writtings, painting, sketching.. etc.) doesn't seem to give the respect to the efforts of said artist.

btw... I don't believe advertisement, selling, etc.. is allowed at work.

So Iron...

If you were reading a book and someone asked to run it through the xerox machine?

If you cooked up a great lunch and someone asked if they can have it?

(Just pickin on yah Iron.. we've been here a while that I know you won't take offense.. :) )

On second thought.. perhaps you are all right... I should just take it at face value and appreciate that my photography attracts attention. I just need to hit the bar for a nice tall glass of guinness more often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back