Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so this won't sound like much to most, because I know many people have much higher expenses....but I'm gonna vent anyway...

...I have THE WORST LUCK WITH THE TIRES ON MY CAR!!! I've had my car six years, and I couldn't even begin to tell you how many flat tires and slow leaks I've had. I coudln't imagine counting how many tires I've gone through. Well, yet again, I've had a slow leak over the past leak or so...I finally got my butt in to get it fixed today. They just called me...it's not fixable. :er: And ya can't get just ONE new tire (I was getting in need of new tires anyway though)...so, they're putting two new tires on my car, and it'll be $180. Now, I'm not starving, but I don't make enough to sock a lot away in savings, so things like this put a big dent in my finances. :( I'm TRRRRYYYING to save for a new car, as well still be able to go on my numerous trip this year! :lol: GRRRRRRR! As it was I only had $30 left after depositing my check and paying my rent! :lol: I had to dip into my savings AAAGAAAAIN!

Ok...so...yeah...that's about it I guess. I'm just highly annoyed. I was gonna SAVE some money up and get new tires in a month or so. Damn car. I think I need to pick up a temporary third job so I can afford my trips AND everything else that seems to bleed me dry.

Core,

Just a thought here… Are you certain the tire is responsible for the leak? Some alloy wheels (Chrysler products in particular) from the early ‘90’s are notorious for corrosion on the wheel, where the tire bead meets the wheel rim. This corrosion creates slow, but infinitely annoying leaks. You could throw new tire after new tire on one of these corroded rims, and still wake up in the morning to find a partially flat tire.

My wife’s previous car had exactly the same problem you are experiencing… I had the offending tires removed, and then wire brushed the wheel rims to remove the corrosion and smoothen the surface. In hindsight, a more permanent fix would have included applying a coat or two of clear enamel.

Again, just a thought…

DepthAfield said:
Core,

Just a thought here… Are you certain the tire is responsible for the leak? Some alloy wheels (Chrysler products in particular) from the early ‘90’s are notorious for corrosion on the wheel, where the tire bead meets the wheel rim. This corrosion creates slow, but infinitely annoying leaks. You could throw new tire after new tire on one of these corroded rims, and still wake up in the morning to find a partially flat tire.

My wife’s previous car had exactly the same problem you are experiencing… I had the offending tires removed, and then wire brushed the wheel rims to remove the corrosion and smoothen the surface. In hindsight, a more permanent fix would have included applying a coat or two of clear enamel.

Again, just a thought…

Hmmm..I have no idea....they said the hole was in the sidewall this time though...I don't think that would be affected by the rims, would it? I dunno...I want a new car soon anyway. GAWD I wish I had more money! :( I wanted to wait and get a new car when I could afford something I WANTED...but looks like I'm gonna have to settle again.

core_17 said:
GAWD I wish I had more money! :( I wanted to wait and get a new car when I could afford something I WANTED...but looks like I'm gonna have to settle again.

Yes, more money… Perhaps we (the TPF membership) could create a huge worldwide stock photography conglomerate, making us all rich beyond our wildest dreams!!

Back to the tire issue… Sidewall punctures are very rare, unless one is in the habit of ‘scrubbing’ the curb while parking. The local purveyor of tires might be trying to blow smoke up your kiester in hopes of selling you a set of new rubber… I would suggest getting a second opinion.

Why in the world can't you buy one tire? That sounds like a ripoff to me. I've bought one tire on sevearl occasions, and know of plenty of folks who have also bought just one tire. If I were you I'd ask around to different shops in the area.

DepthAfield said:
Yes, more money… Perhaps we (the TPF membership) could create a huge worldwide stock photography conglomerate, making us all rich beyond our wildest dreams!!

Back to the tire issue… Sidewall punctures are very rare, unless one is in the habit of ‘scrubbing’ the curb while parking. The local purveyor of tires might be trying to blow smoke up your kiester in hopes of selling you a set of new rubber… I would suggest getting a second opinion.

Well, it's too late, cuz the tires are already on my car. :p

But my stepdad says 'you have a sidewall puncture' seems to be thier favorite thing to tell ya....so we're gonna start going with someone else for are vehicle maintenance (I usually go wherever my stepdad goes, cuz he owns a construction company, and usually gets good deals because we give them a lot of business, and can usually get discounts for doing construction repair work for them! :p )...which really sucks, because they are the only ones in town. :er:

kelox said:
Why in the world can't you buy one tire? That sounds like a ripoff to me. I've bought one tire on sevearl occasions, and know of plenty of folks who have also bought just one tire. If I were you I'd ask around to different shops in the area.

Both my front tires were getting pretty worn...it's not good to have one new tire and one nearly worn one. I do know they weren't ripping me off on that respect...my stepdad and my boyfriend have always told me the same thing.

do you have Les Schwab tire centers in your area?

They usually have good warrantys and offer outstanding service. Punctures, rotations and pressure checks are always fixed for free.

core_17 said:
Well, it's too late, cuz the tires are already on my car. :p
Doh!! Bummer. Sounds like advice from step-dad should have been taken to heart.

Dweller:
Les Schwab (a left coast franchise), is notorious for ripping people off. They may offer a good warranty for service, but only after they’ve royally pummeled you in the butt with the sale of unneeded maintenance. Les Schwab sucks.

DepthAfield said:
Doh!! Bummer. Sounds like advice from step-dad should have been taken to heart.

The advice from him didn't come til after, either. Two of his trucks are at that same place right now getting new tires! :lol: One truck was in a minor accident when one of our employees went into a ditch to avoid an accident, and I'm not sure what happened with the other...it's a dump truck, so it probably happened at the landfill.

Dweller said:
do you have Les Schwab tire centers in your area?

They usually have good warrantys and offer outstanding service. Punctures, rotations and pressure checks are always fixed for free.

You mean there are places that charge to check your tyre pressure!!!!

Well...I'm taking my vent back. Yeah, it kinda sucks that I'm gonna be scrapin for money for a couple weeks, but it won't be bad.
I vastly underestimated the value of good new tires...everytime I've had problems, I've had used tires put on, cuz it was cheaper....I didn't realize it was my TIRES that made my car shake (I thought something was out of alignment or something)...my car rides like a DREAM now...which means...hopefully I CAN stick with this car for a while, and save some money for a decent one! :cheer:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back