Can I have this setup? camera carrying questions

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With the weight of my new 5DMII, I find that carrying it strapped around my neck leaves me with neck pain for days, and with a couple of cramped fingers from shooting in portrait a lot without much support.

Here's the setup that I would like, but not sure if all these things would work together ...

I ordered a sling strap that attaches to one of the provided strap slots on the camera and not the tripod socket (the BosStrap). I want to attach the camera to the strap on it's left slot and get a hand strap to use on the other side. But one of the main reasons I wanted a sling strap that didn't use the tripod socket is that I really want the tripod socket free (as I like to use the tripod often and don't want the hassle of taking something out of there all the time). Seems like hand straps go into one of the strap slots on one side and into the tripod socket on the other. That ruins my plan :confused:. But I've seen mention of some sort of plate that can be used - just can't figure out exactly how that works and whether it does what I would hope, which is create more slots to leave free the tripod socket while allowing a hand strap to be attached. THEN there's the issue of a battery pack - I'd like to attach one as I find I shoot a lot in portrait mode and it would make it more convenient.

So .... battery pack with hand strap with a sling strap attached as well, but with the tripod socket free for quick use. Can I do it? How? What do I buy? Which is the proper hand-strap for the 5DMII? (the E1 is listed as for the "Rebel", so was confused) What is this "plate" that I keep reading about and do I need that also?

Thank in advance for some guidance on this. I'm trying to make my setup more comfortable as I have all sorts of niggly physical problems (tendonitis, back and knee problems) that make good ergonomics supremely important to me.

p.s. I may not be using the right terminology with "tripod socket" and "strap slot" - please excuse me on that.

Last edited:
All of my tripod head's use a quick release (QR). So all my camera bodies have a quick release plate screwed onto the bottom of the camera. I just clip my Black Rapid sling to the D-ring on the bottom of the QR plate.

Keith, so let me see if I understand. It's the tripod that I have to pay closer attention to? So I would need to get a tripod that has a "QR plate" and then would the plate basically hang out at the bottom of my camera (battery pack) where I could attach the hand-strap to? Wouldn't I then still need to remove the hand-strap from there before placing the camera on the tripod? Sorry, I know I'm being dense - just haven't see this and having trouble visualizing exactly how it works. Off to youtube and google, but would love some clarification here if someone can stoop to my kindergarten level : )

What about using a monopod? And maybe an L bracket on the camera if you are using a lens that does not have a tripod collar?

Thanks, Patrice, the visual helps significantly.

D-B-J, thanks for the suggestion on the monopod. I do have one, but must admit that I don't care for it much. It's nice if I have no option of a tripod, but it's nowhere near as steady as I'd like -- or, rather, I should say *I'm* nowhere near as steady as I'd like ... the monopod depends on my own steadiness to much to be reliable. A tripod doesn't care how much I'm moving : )

I also attach mine to the quick release plate. I've got a really right stuff plate, and the loop you attach a strap to doesn't interfere with mounting the plate to the tripod. It's also just really nice having a plate custom fit to your model of camera, super stable and you never have to take it off.

Can the plate attach to the battery pack as well?

Most reactions

Back