Can I learn photography with a superzoom camera or should I get a dslr?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

I kind of like the idea of the superzoom (21+ zooms) because to do that in a DSLR would be VERY expensive. I'm wondering if I can learn about photography using a superzoom camera. Are these cameras fully manual like a DSLR? If so, what would be a good one to start on? How about the Canon sx260? It's affordable and looks good.

I had the Canon sx40 HS which I believe was replaced with newer model now. It was a super zoom bridge camera and it was fantastic. It had all manual controls so certainly you can learn manual photography on it but it has it's limitations. For example, you will be able to take great zoom photos but your fixed lens will lack in wide angle work (good for landscapes and interior of buildings) and you will certainly lack in low light situations. So if any of these is important to you then I would just pay the extra couple of hundred and invest in an entry level DSLR with a kit lens. I sold my super zoom 6 months after buying it due to the limitations I mentioned. I am happy now with my D5100. Likely in a year or two if I continue to enjoy the hobby I will upgrade to full frame like the D600 or similar. So you see, with photography, when you begin learning it and really enjoying it, you will always want to upgrade your gear.

Can I learn photography with a superzoom camera or should I get a dslr?

Hi.

I kind of like the idea of the superzoom (21+ zooms) because to do that in a DSLR would be VERY expensive. I'm wondering if I can learn about photography using a superzoom camera. Are these cameras fully manual like a DSLR? If so, what would be a good one to start on? How about the Canon sx260? It's affordable and looks good.
Yes.

To achieve a 21x+ zoom range, various lens design compromises have to be made that negatively impact image quality.

Hi.

You can learn quite a bit about photography with nearly any camera, especially composition.

Are these cameras fully manual like a DSLR? If so, what would be a good one to start on? How about the Canon sx260? It's affordable and looks good.

Not all bridge/superzoom cameras have manual controls. But models such as Canon's sx40/50 HS and Nikon's P500/510 do have manual controls. AFAIK, the Canon 260 does not have manual controls. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) And pretty much can function and take images like a DSLR.

But like what KmH mentioned, you can learn photography with one of these cameras. But do note some pros and cons. The pros are that bridge cameras are definitely cheaper, compact and relatively easy use or simply not daunting to most newbies as compared even to the most basic DSLRs. DSLRs obviously can deliver better pictures due to the availability of lenses and also sensor quality, etc. Has better control functions and external flash capabilities (the Canon sx40/50 has a hot shoe though). Downside really is the price. They are obviously not cheap and size is something to consider also. But if you are on a budget and want to learn photography, a bridge or superzoom camera will still get you going. But if you have the budget and willing to take the plunge, a DSLR will be fine too. You may want to consider mirrorless cameras too. They are compact with interchangeable lenses and can have the image quality of DSLRS (at least basic models. Purists will say otherwise.)

PS

Just to add, there are two components in learning photography:

1) composition which you can learn using any camera as what mentioned earlier by designer.

2) the gear being used - the better the more you can take better images. but better gear also translates to higher prices sometimes obscene for most people especially non-pros. So do determine your budget beforehand.

To master photography you must have skills in both. As for me, let's just say I'm still in the stage acquiring skills in both. :)

Last edited:
You can learn on a Super Zoom as long as it has a manual mode but the quality of the pictures will not be as good as a DSLR.
Bridge cameras has a small regular sensor on them, they look like a DSLR but they really are not.
So I would say go for a DSLR.

any camera with manual mode can be learned from, but if you really think you want to expand and learn more past "point and shoot" photos, go with a dslr.

Also, have you thought about buying used? It can save you a lot of money, but of course use caution when buying anything used...

Part of the issue with these superzooms is that the sensors and apetures are so small, that wide open and fully stopped down makes very little difference to the depth of field (ie it's always huge). It's like you're missing out on half the point of taking full control of your camera - it's not just about now bright the image is.

Also, you'll find that unless you're shooting a lot of wildlife or sports (which most superzooms are not fast enough for -- apeture and responsiveness), most things you're going to want to photograph are going to happen between about 28mm and 100mm (3x or 4x zoom). Before I get jumped on, I'm not saying no-one ever needed 24mm, or 200mm, or anything rediculious, I'm just saying that for general purpose photography, ultra-wide, and ultra-long and not really must-haves, esp while you're learning...

Most reactions

Back