Can i make a living of of photography?

First, running a business - ANY BUSINESS - is hard work. Been there, done that. Doesn't matter what the business is you will most likely work more hours for less pay than a comparable corporate employee. Yes, you have the potential to surpass the averages but it will take a lot of time, energy, and dogged persistence to get it done. I've started two from ground up and sold them. I've worked for a large corp as well. The personal income is much higher in the 9-5 for the first few years.

My business area has a far greater potential for income that photography. Sadly, until you reach the top of the scale in photography it just doesn't pay very well. If you are entering the photog business with the idea of becoming wealthy you will probably be disappointed. Sorry, but that is the reality for the vast majority of people that start.

If you are doing it because you truly love it and are willing to make lifestyle sacrifices to pursue it you have good potential to be successful in achieving a pleasant life. But you will have to make some sacrifices. So does the office worker - it just depends on what compromises you are willing to make. For example - I've done something for 25 years when I would really have preferred to be other places doing other things. I made some money but made compromises just the same. Just remember - money isn't everything...

And to comment on the above - 50k equipment investment is just the start. Plan on double to ensure that you are adequately capitalized to last at least 12 months. Many business books will say 6. Don't listen. 12 months so you can outlast the inevitable cash flow crunch that will hit just about month 8. I've seen it happen so many times I feel comfortable predicting it.

If you are planning to major in Mass Communications ... then I am assuming you are looking into journalism. Typically, one starts at the bottom and works their way up into bigger and better paying markets.

Pay sucks in all but the larger markets ... where the pay is okay. One does not become a journalist or photo journalist for the pay ... it is really in your blood. Everyday is different ... a ton of freedom ... a ton of pressure.

When I graduated with a degree in Communications I remember reading a statistic about 60,000 comm majors and 5,000 job openings nationwide. Things are even more competitive now.

If you have the skill, determination and luck to make it on staff with a major market paper ... man what a ride ... if I had a choice between the ride or an immeasurable amount of money ... I think I'd take the ride ... it is that good.

Gary

I think a lot of people are under the impression that they can just start up a business shooting and selling photographs, mainly portraits. They're almost always wrong. There's no money in it unless you shoot a lot of weddings, or you own one of those repulsive portrait places in a shopping mall. Even then it can be very tough. I don't mean to say that you can't make any money, just that you normally can't make enough to comfortably live off.

There are two markets in which you can make a living shooting photos. One is commercial, the other is fashion. To do either one successfully, you're talking about a good $50,000 investment in gear. MF digital camera, though you could probably get away with a 1d or a 5d if you had to. Powerful, consistent lights. I mean Elinchroms and Profotos and the like, not AB's or WL's or JTL's. Backdrops and stands, light stands, strobe attachments, lightboxes, etc etc. Then there's studio space. High ceilings are practically a must-have. Buy or rent. Then there's promotional materials...your business cards, your comp card type things, the crap you mail out, the hosting and design fees for your website. And on. And on. And on.

I'm not trying to scare you away from a photo business. When you think about it, $50k or so isn't all that big an investment compared to most businesses. All I mean to say is that all of those above things are required if you want to be able to live well off the business.
There are alot of people who would beg to differ with you on that portrait statement. There are alot of people who make plenty of money shooting portraits. The bottom line in this business is to be a hustler. If you do not have the drive to push and market yourself everyday forget it. There will be no 9-5 jobs in photography and noone will give you anything. Be prepared to work hard everyday and market yourself like crazy and you can make it whatever kind of photography you want to do.

Hi Relic123, Photography is like anything else- the trick is to outlast the competition!

Once you go from being the New Guy to being a Go To Guy your bottom line will be more consistent and higher. All you have to do is survive long enough. ;)

mike

There are alot of people who would beg to differ with you on that portrait statement. There are alot of people who make plenty of money shooting portraits. The bottom line in this business is to be a hustler. If you do not have the drive to push and market yourself everyday forget it. There will be no 9-5 jobs in photography and noone will give you anything. Be prepared to work hard everyday and market yourself like crazy and you can make it whatever kind of photography you want to do.

Yeah? Introduce me to someone who restlessly works their tail off doing grass-roots marketing crap every day and shooting mostly cheesy senior portrait-looking photos (even if they are capable of better, it sells) and really loves it or hasn't sold their soul. Then I'll call them crazy. That entire business is about scrounging customers, there's no rest in it. That's why most people who try it either give up, never actually do it full time, or get burnt out. The rest are a strange breed who usually aren't making that comfortable of a living off it.

I have to agree with max though I hate to. Back in the day that I actually worked at it, I spent most of my life either chasing customers or shooting GB (general business) crap. It was a job like any other job only my pay check was never certain.

I doubt that I am quite the regular photographer. I shot really GB during the week and better paying GB on the weekends and weeknights. In other words there was no art in my photography and I'm the first to admit it. It was all about making the car payment for me. But then I never claim to be more than a hack, blue collar photographer. I leave the illusions to others.

But even though I agree with Max and the others there is one thing I can say. If you build your life around the business it can work and it can be rewarding in other than financial ways. You can have a hellofalot of fun. In the end how much your casket cost doesn't really make a lot of difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back