Can I print from home with this...

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Folks, I am looking at picking up an Epson 3800 printer, and just to cover all my bases here, I have some questions. I know that there is a learning curve printing at home, but will I have any unresovable issues printing from my PC (with spyder2express monitor calibration), Photoshop Elements 6 editing software, to this Epson. A local jerk of a hobbiest photographer said that I need Photoshop CS 3 or 4. Why the heck would that be? Printing at home is new to me, but the nearest lab is 75 miles away, and its getting old.

So, other than the learning curve associated with this, can I use my current software and get the job done? And why would my photo editing software not be "good" enough?

Derrick

edit to add that Elements 6 has both sRGB and Adobe RGB color profiles.

I thought so, and yes he is. LOL Thanks.

Update: I have had my Epson 3800 printer for 2 weeks now. The first print I did was basically plug and play. I was overwhelmed at the size of the printer, its huge and weighs 42 pounds. So, I recalibrated my monitor, checked my profiles for both my computer and my laptop, brought up a photo in Elements 6 and sent it to print. a couple clicks to set the paper type and size and the printer begins whirring away. A short bit later and utter amazement at the quality! Perhaps printing at home is not for everyone, but it can easily be. Sure, there are still things for me to learn with it, but we've done fantastic 12x18's and larger without issue. Best of all, I don't have to drive 75 miles to the lab or take my chances with the internet and USPS any more. So if you are even thinking about printing at home, rest assured its not near as bad as it looks. LOL

Derrick

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any issues printing at home, especially if the lab was so far away. Although, make sure you have a good supply of ink & paper on hand because (if you are like me) you run out at inopportune times and have to run out to get those things, which kills the convenience of printing at home in the first place.

My lab isn't very far from me and they do great work, so most of my printing is done by them.

I was printing straight from my CF card to a portable Canon printer this weekend on site for the clients, I see no reason you could not do it via PC!

Big Mike and Jerry....I too would use a local lab, but like I said, its a looonnngggg drive. LOL I also like to support the local businesses as much as possible.

I took advantage of Epson's discount and 300 dollar mail-in when purchasing 100 dollars worth of paper. The 3800 holds large ink cartridges, but when they reach halfway, I will get another set coming.

Jerry, thats the main reason we are now printing at home....the turn around time. Weekend events allow us to shoot all day, print that night, sell prints in the morning and start shooting again.

Derrick

P.S.~ Did you say Canon printer Jerry? LOL

The paper you use matters more than the printer. I print 8x10's on quality glossy photo paper (about $1.00 a sheet) using an Epson C62 with dirt-cheap ink I bought on eBay and they are indiscriminable from the $5.00 prints I made at a kodak kiosk.

I agree, we are using quality papers. We strive to deliver a quality print. I think they are worth the price. My 8x10's are approaching a buck a sheet as well. Some of our larger papers are closer to 3 bucks a sheet and the largest is even more. It seems the customers prefer the Luster papers over the glossy though. I am interested in trying out some black and whites. We haven't had a call for any as of yet. I will try the advance black and white settings soon though.

The one important thing is to make sure you are using the right settings for the paper your using. Since you bought a bunch of Epson paper the profiles will be there (check Epson every now and then for updated profiles).

But you can also use other brands or off brand paper. Internet is amazing with the information you can get with a search. I have been able to find correct profiles for my Epson 2400 for every paper I have tried. It makes a big difference.

Most reactions

Back