Can I repair this photo?

benjyman345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,

A few of my photos have been ruined by water droplets on the glass of my underwater housing. I have uploaded a photo as an example.

This photo isn't anything special but some of my other photos are and I want to try and salvage them. Is it possible to salvage this sort of spot in photoshop. If so could you please give me a detailed explanation how? (I am new to photoshop)

Thanks

PB180198WaterSpot.jpg

PB190224a.jpg

I used the dodge tool, adjusting for shadow, midtones & highlights. This left me with a need for a hue shift back to green, some desaturation & lightness brought the values in range, BUT - the middle of the blob is quite decimated & will require some cloning. Cloning the beach was also easier that trying to repair damaged pixels.

Basically cloning is probably the best technique. I did not post the quick and scrappy results because you have not specified a preference regarding the editing of your images. Also the second image was not there when I read your post.

-Shea

I used the dodge tool, adjusting for shadow, midtones & highlights. This left me with a need for a hue shift back to green, some desaturation & lightness brought the values in range, BUT - the middle of the blob is quite decimated & will require some cloning. Cloning the beach was also easier that trying to repair damaged pixels.

Basically cloning is probably the best technique. I did not post the quick and scrappy results because you have not specified a preference regarding the editing of your images. Also the second image was not there when I read your post.

-Shea

Thanks!

For these pictures, I don't mind if you upload the edited versions. Infact, if you don't mind would you be able too?

At this resolution there is not much data to work with, but this may show you the possibilities. I created and merged several layers as part of the work flow, and ended with unsharp mask to cheat some detail into the washed out area. It is no where near perfect, but in 10 minutes this is what I came up with:
WaterSpot.jpg

Another approach would be to clone large areas onto a new layer and then subtract portions until it blends in. Or use another photograph (if you took one near this) and scale and tweak in a chunk of similar tree line.

The second image is less troublesome, but with the red circle in it I'm leaving it up to you.

-Shea

I played with these a little bit, and there is no easy fix. The only way to go is with cloning.

PB180198WaterSpot_x.jpg

PB190224a%20_x.jpg

These are great but lets see the ones underwater.

These are great but lets see the ones underwater.

I agree I want to see them too!! did you post them somewhere on the forum. I guess you don't want the advice to take the housing off when you get out of the water.

Most reactions

Back