Can I steal your image?

So the guy emailed me back and is coming by the studio Friday to pick up a 12X16 unmounted Print for $50...

Sombody gathering up the funds to pay anti's bill...

p285397383-3.jpg
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

So the guy emailed me back and is coming by the studio Friday to pick up a 12X16 unmounted Print for $50...
Really? Or are you being sarcastic?

^ Hum... go ahead, try and print off a 500px wide image any larger than two inches wide and see what sort of quality you get. It certainly won't be anything salable.

Additionally, thanks for helping publicize me!

That's a bit of a technical impossibility since I'm smart enough not to publish my images at any reasonably printable size.

Wow.. You just don't get it do you?!:waiting:

what surprises me most is that he is local enough to do that!
great result!

No no. I'm serious. This guy is coming to the studio tomorrow to pick it up.

Ok, I say kick him in the nuts and tell him you meant 50 THOUSAND, not 50 DOLLLARS... lol

Kidding aside, I'd say that was a nice end to a difficult situation.

Last edited:
The thing is, they probably don't understand about copyright (and they don't have to be 12 to do that). But beyond the fact that image (or any IP) theft is rampant, there are millions upon millions of images out there free for the taking either because they've been released into the public domain or they're released via a license that allows them to be freely reused (though most probably don't abide by the 'attribution' clauses in some of the licenses).

If it were me, I'd be polite but I'd explain to them via email, and briefly, that those images are yours and you retain the copyright and would be willing to negotiate a license fee if they want use those images. I wouldn't put a dollar value on it because, let's face it, you're basically telling them, 'uh, no?' and shooing them away, but on the off chance they're an add agency that might offer you $1000 per image, don't put the price out front.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

No no. I'm serious. This guy is coming to the studio tomorrow to pick it up.
Heh, sorry, my bad. I made the previous comment ("of course he's being sarcastic...") under the impression of a different reference. I'm glad (and a bit surprised) that it came to a happy ending for you.

To any of you who are still convinced that copying an image equates to the theft of actual, tangible property, I suggest reading Content, by Cory Doctorow. Heck, I suggest reading all his books, they're great. And the best part? You can download his books for free, no strings attached, because he's smart enough to realize that obscurity is a far bigger problem than piracy for any artist and also that you can't own an idea or the pseudo-property swiss-cheese that is "IP".

I have a very deep technical understanding of the topic, but I think I have difficulty translating it from "geekese" to English. He's much better at explaining it than I am.

... To any of you who are still convinced that copying an image equates to the theft of actual, tangible property, I suggest reading Content, by Cory Doctorow. Heck, I suggest reading all his books, they're great. And the best part? You can download his books for free, no strings attached, because he's smart enough to realize that obscurity is a far bigger problem than piracy for any artist and also that you can't own an idea or the pseudo-property swiss-cheese that is "IP".

Understood. The point I was working toward (but I have some other matters that are taking up my time at the moment), is that there really is nothing you can do about it.

Heh, sorry, my bad. I made the previous comment ("of course he's being sarcastic...") under the impression of a different reference. I'm glad (and a bit surprised) that it came to a happy ending for you.

To any of you who are still convinced that copying an image equates to the theft of actual, tangible property, I suggest reading Content, by Cory Doctorow. Heck, I suggest reading all his books, they're great. And the best part? You can download his books for free, no strings attached, because he's smart enough to realize that obscurity is a far bigger problem than piracy for any artist and also that you can't own an idea or the pseudo-property swiss-cheese that is "IP".

I have a very deep technical understanding of the topic, but I think I have difficulty translating it from "geekese" to English. He's much better at explaining it than I am.

Or for a better reference you can look up Copyright Laws. Those might be closer to the point than a book by some guy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back