Can I use any lens brand?

imanoob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As my username suggests, I'm a noob and have little idea of what I'm doing. I have a Sony A390 and I want to buy a macro lens. I'm looking into Sony's 30mm and 50mm macros but I wonder if I can buy a "generic" non-Sony brand or something and use that instead? Does it have to be a Sony? I'm asking because the 50mm lens is $800 I think, and I'm trying to spend a little less. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

As my username suggests, I'm a noob and have little idea of what I'm doing. I have a Sony A390 and I want to buy a macro lens. I'm looking into Sony's 30mm and 50mm macros but I wonder if I can buy a "generic" non-Sony brand or something and use that instead? Does it have to be a Sony? I'm asking because the 50mm lens is $800 I think, and I'm trying to spend a little less. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Well for a Sony camera, even if you buy a Sigma or Tamron lens for example, it must be a Sigma or Tamron lens in their "SONY VERSION". You just cannot buy any Sigma lens for example and expect it to fit a Sony camera, Canon camera or Nikon Camera. It must be a Sony, Canon, or Nikon version of the Sigma lens etc. and each version is different.
skieur

Most reactions

Back