Can it even be done??

The_Turk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a Nikon N55/F55. And I know the lens mounting ring is plastic, I was just wondering if there was any way to change it to a metal ring. Or if I'm just making that up. I got a ton of lens for free and I'm just afraid of changing the lens and then the mounting ring breaks.

Any help on this would be helpful.

Do have a tendency to worry about things in general? Why not just use the camera and make some photographs?

I do worry about things in general, actually. I have been out to take a few shots, but it was so cold out that I just didn't want things to snap off.

Is the lens plastic? If it is, I'll give you a quote from an article I read on quality. "A metal ring on a plastic body (or lens) won't help you any more than a plastic rig on a plastic body (or lens). A chain will break at the weakest link, unless it's all metal, there seems to be no reson to shell out more for a metal MOUNTING ring alone. The only plus I see for a metal ring on either the bod or the lens, is to resist wearing down of the
rings when they have been repetitively put on and taken off over and over."

Nikon Film bodies can be had for peanuts today compared to their digital brothers. I wouldn't worry about it and come back to the old engineering principle: "If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replacing anyway."

If you are not a pro using your camera in a rough way,you should have nothing to worry about. It was designed for you to be able to change the lens. The shutter will more than likely fail before you would have a problem with the lens mount. This goes for all amateur grade cameras from all the major brands. Don't worry and use it to its fullest potential

When I first learned that the shutters have a "lifespan" I was a little worried but then I figured what the hell, taking pictures is what I bought the camera for anyway.

When I first learned that the shutters have a "lifespan" I was a little worried but then I figured what the hell, taking pictures is what I bought the camera for anyway.
Good attitude. By the time it happens you will probably be ready to upgrade anyway.

"When I first learned that the shutters have a "lifespan" I was a little worried but then I figured what the hell, taking pictures is what I bought the camera for anyway."

Substitute 'we' for 'the shutters' and the statement still makes lots of sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back