Can Nikon Flash Bulbs be replaced?

TheSharpshooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hear studio lights have very expensive bulbs, what about speedlights, can bulbs be replaced? If not are they long lasting? A friend of mine claims a speedlight is a money saver in the long run.

Yes.... but they're driven by high-powered capacitors that can really deliver a jolt. So you need to be very careful replacing them.

What about the SB-910? Is is easy to do? Where do I get a fresh bulb? I suppose I should wear plastic gloves as not to get electrocuted?

I hear studio lights have very expensive bulbs, what about speedlights, can bulbs be replaced? If not are they long lasting? A friend of mine claims a speedlight is a money saver in the long run.
]

Ask him if he's satisfied with the performance of his "modeling lights" and if he has an octobox or two with two modifier elements to shoot through with his speedlights
bigthumb.gif

What about the SB-910? Is is easy to do? Where do I get a fresh bulb? I suppose I should wear plastic gloves as not to get electrocuted?

Getting repair parts for Nikon stuff just got a whole lot harder recently when Nikon shut off the supply to independent repair facilities. If you can snag one, you might want to give it a go. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Electrocution is only one undesirable outcome. Arc-flash and burns are others.

If you need to ask this question, my suggestion would be to have send it in to a qualified repair person. As mentioned, the capacitive charging system in a speedlight can pack a NASTY punch and needs to be properly discharged before servicing. As well, if you don't know what you're doing, you risk damaging (likely beyone economic repair) the circuit boards inside the unit.

]

Ask him if he's satisfied with the performance of his "modeling lights" and if he has an octobox or two with two modifier elements to shoot through with his speedlights
bigthumb.gif

Since when do speedlights have modelling lights? :p

If you need to ask this question, my suggestion would be to have send it in to a qualified repair person. As mentioned, the capacitive charging system in a speedlight can pack a NASTY punch and needs to be properly discharged before servicing. As well, if you don't know what you're doing, you risk damaging (likely beyone economic repair) the circuit boards inside the unit.

That sounds very expensive just to replace a bulb though, no?

It can end up costing a lot more than just buying a new speedlight.

Let's say you locate a replacement tube. You attempt to replace it, and end up with a new part that can't be used because you killed your speedlight in some manner. Now you've spent time and money and end up with a speedlight that's beyond repair.

I always say, "The stingiest person spends the most!"

]

bigthumb.gif

Since when do speedlights have modelling lights? :p

Oh they have them...google "SB900 modeling light" or such. But do they work as well as real ones and as efficiently is my point
bigthumb.gif

But isn't sending it to Nikon to have the bulb repaired gonna cost hundreds if you include shipping? (I don't know if you can actually just go someplace to have it replaced instead of shipping it?)

But isn't sending it to Nikon to have the bulb repaired gonna cost hundreds if you include shipping? (I don't know if you can actually just go someplace to have it replaced instead of shipping it?)

Why not send it in for a quote? After all, it's not working now, is it? Sending to a Nikon facility is gonna be your fastest option. Finding an independent facility that can repair it is gonna be difficult since Nikon doesn't sell parts to them any more.

Shipping costs here in europe are a whole lot more expensive than in the US.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back