Can only take two lenses to Peru

xraynet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will be traveling to Peru, both Amazon River (animals and insects viewed from both water and hiking trails) and mountainous regions (Machu Picchu vistas), and will only be able to take two camera lenses. Need advice.

Have Nikon D70 and Nikkor 24-120 VR f/3.5 zoom. Would it be best to buy a Nikkor 70-300 VRII tele zoom or Nikkor 12-24 wide angle zoom to augment the lens I currently own? Or, would a wide angle prime suffice?

All 3 But if I had to choose and it would be a very difficult one well.... I'm not really sure I could make a choice with that list all 3 cover need ranges.

24-120 doesn't seem wide enough to me. But then 12-24 isn't much of a range if you can only take 2 lenses. I would much rather have something along the lines of an 18-55. Or that nifty 18-200 that Nikon has. And then take something a little longer.

Hence my problem!! I may have to purchase both at some expense. Also, space and weight will be at a premium for a trip lasting 3 weeks and with considerable luggage restrictions.

easy, 12-24 and 24-120. That should pretty much cover everything.

24-120 doesn't seem wide enough to me. But then 12-24 isn't much of a range if you can only take 2 lenses. I would much rather have something along the lines of an 18-55. Or that nifty 18-200 that Nikon has. And then take something a little longer.
Whatever you do if you can afford quality glass do not take those lenses (18-55, 18-200) I think I agree with Switch 12-120 is a great range.

easy, 12-24 and 24-120. That should pretty much cover everything.

Thanks to all for their advice. :hail: So far I'm leaning toward the wide angle zoom and my current lens which is tack sharp. Leaving behind the 70-300 would only cause me to miss some distant animal shots.

If this were a pro shoot, then I'd leave clothes behind and take all necessary lenses, of course.

No, take ME and I will carry extra lenses for you in a backpack. Heck, I will carry an extra camera body with one of those lenses attached to it and even shoot the pictures for you!

Always glad to be of help!

No, take ME and I will carry extra lenses for you in a backpack. Heck, I will carry an extra camera body with one of those lenses attached to it and even shoot the pictures for you!

Always glad to be of help!

....and if you need a third....

Anyways...I would say that on a trip like that I'd probably be killing for a Macro...but that's up to you...I guess you would have mentioned that by now.

my cousin has the 70-300 VR lens for his D70...turns out a LOT of great pictures....could be an option.

Most reactions

Back