Can someone help a newb resize?

oreo5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can tell me how to resize a photo I took because they are probably wanting to get it printed out somewhere. I shot it in RAW format. I only have Photoshop Elements and here is what it is telling me about the photo:

ScreenShot2013-01-27at92526PM_zps16bef126.png

They said they need the photo to be 5400 by 6000. I don't know what that means or how to get it to that size. Hope someone can help me, thanks!

You need to consider some basic math.

Editing rule #1 - Make a copy of your photo and edit the copy.
Since we are only going to change the Pixel Dimensions, we will ignore the Resolution box value.

The Pixel Dimensions show your photo is 960 pixels wide by 639 pixels tall.

960 / 639 = 1.5. The long side (960) is 1.5 times longer than the short (639) side. That means your photo has a 3:2 aspect ratio (3 / 2 is also = 1.5).
Your image is a rectangle

They want 6000 x 5400. 6000 / 5400 = 1.11, which is almost a square (1:1)

Some will have to be cropped away from the wide part of your photo to get from 1.5 to 1.11.

639 pixels x 1.11 = 709 pixels. So you need to crop 960 - 709 = 251 pixels from the wide side of your photo.

The Image Size dialog box in Elements will then show your photo as 709 pixels by 639 pixels. Make a copy of the cropped photo. You'll need it a bit later.

Leave the Constrain Proportions box checked. Leave the Resample Image box checked. - Change the 709 to 6000. Because of the Constrained Proportions the height will set itself to 5400.
Since we left the Resolution at 72 pixels per inch, the Document size is going to be bigger. Ignore it, because it's irrelevant for electronic display. If they want to make a print, they don't need 6000 pixels by 5400 pixels.

In the next box down - Bicubic (best for smooth gradients), click on the down arrow and select Bicubic Smoother (best for enlargements)

Unfortunately, enlarging the realtively small number of pixels your photo has that much may hurt the overall image quality.

So, that copy of the crop you made do the same as above, but.....instead of choosing Bicubic Smoother (best for enlargements), choose Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction).

Compare the 2 enlargements for image quality. Pick the one that looks best.

Last edited:
While it is good to know and learn what Keith wrote, so I'm not trying to say don't do it or learn it, but most labs don't want you resizing images. Just send them your final edit and tell them what size you want and they'll do it for you.

So many times I am calling customers asking for their original because they F'ed it up resizing it.

Or, they make a 2GB Tiff file to give us to print because they think 5 million dpi is best.

WOW KmH, thanks for explaining this to me, I'm certain you have helped me in more ways than I realize right now. I'm going to save that as a reference :)

This will be on the test.

Did you know that when you have Elements open on your computer you can access Adobe Community Help by just pressing the F1 key on your keyboard.

You can then easily find information on the Image Size function/dialog box, and lots more.

While it is good to know and learn what Keith wrote, so I'm not trying to say don't do it or learn it, but most labs don't want you resizing images. Just send them your final edit and tell them what size you want and they'll do it for you.

So many times I am calling customers asking for their original because they F'ed it up resizing it.

Or, they make a 2GB Tiff file to give us to print because they think 5 million dpi is best.

Haha, I hear ya! That's what I was trying to avoid. Hope I can do it the right way myself and I like to learn to use my investment to its potential.

Did you know that when you have Elements open on your computer you can access Adobe Community Help by just pressing the F1 key on your keyboard.

You can then easily find information on the Image Size function/dialog box, and lots more.

I went there but it still seemed to "dance" around what I actually needed:

"The image size (or pixel dimensions) of an image is a measure of the number of pixels along an image’s width and height. For example, your digital camera may take a photo that is 3000 pixels wide and 2000 pixels high. These two measurements have a direct correlation to the image’s file size, and both are an indication of the amount of image data in a photo.
Resolution is the fineness of detail you can see in an image. It is measured in pixels per inch (ppi). The more pixels per inch, the greater the resolution. Generally, the higher the resolution of your image, the better the printed image quality.
Although a digital image contains a specific amount of image data, it doesn’t have a specific physical output size or resolution. As you change the resolution of a file, its physical dimensions change, and as you change the width or height of an image, its resolution changes.
You can see the relationship between image size and resolution in the image size dialog box (choose Image > Resize > Image Size). Deselect Resample Image, because you don’t want to change the amount of image data in your photo. Then change the width, height, or resolution. As you change one value, the other two values change accordingly."

Most reactions

Back