Can someone pipe in for me? Need a few ideas please.

Lightspeedfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
here are a few baby images i've been messing around with. i'm using a canon 50d 24-105 f4L, 50 1.8, 430exII. I've just started messing with an umbrella and a softbox but no pics yet. Let me know what you think of these and what could be done to help them. The pic of the baby with the black suspenders and cap was shot with a canon 85 1.2L Prime. I rented that lens and it's AWESOME! Thanks again! hope i posted these correctly.
3922283513_aa91665688.jpg

3922282557_18eece433a.jpg

3922282181_f4b64335bd.jpg

3922281921_1944937304.jpg

Last edited:
i'm not sure what to do. i'm able to view them when i log out and then just view the thread as a guest.
does it have anything to do with posting on a mac? i don't think it would. Any ideas on how to get these to show up, let me know. i posted jpg's on a kodak gallery

Won't have anything to do with posting from a mac. Where are the pictures hosted?

Actually, I can see the location now. In order to link here, you have to have a link directly to the image, ending in .jpg and then use the tags. Your first pic currently has a link of [URL]http://beta.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/5222:592927927703/jpeg/BG[/URL]

Even when I try altering this, I can't get to the picture. It seems that you might have to be logged in on that site in order to view or something, I don't think it will allow hotlinking. If you're able to see from your computer it's probably just because the images are cached already.

This thread should help explain more: [URL]http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/76568-how-post-pictures-use-forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html[/URL]

Okay, i put them on flickr. Hope this works better. Thanks. Any comments appreciated.

3922283513_aa91665688.jpg

3922282557_18eece433a.jpg

3922282181_f4b64335bd.jpg

3922281921_1944937304.jpg

#3 is my fave, I'm not a huge fan of the tilted composition, but it works for some people. I think a tiny bit more contrast or bump in the blacks in #3 would make it stand out even more.

Good job!

All excellent photos, and yes #3 does stand out as being particularly good (well it does to me anyway)

#1 Tilt is a very strong element and it has a tendency to override the senses, at least in my opinion. In order to use it to good effect it should, again in my opinion, augment the message rather than work against it. In this case I have difficulty seeing the child because of the strength of the tilt.

#2 I like this one better, but the expression of the child seems negative rather than positive, and the small lights in the background pull my eye away from the child. The hand is a minor intrusion, but it too is a bit distracting.

#3 Very strong. The tonal values of the duvet allow my eye to go right to the child. It augments the impact of the child through contrast and it allows me to see the child without anything to distract my eye. Very nice.

#4 The line of the leg leads my eye right out of the frame, and although the feet suggest an entire child, the abstraction of including only a part of the subject does not work, for me, in this image. Feet are too generic - something more unique might have worked better with this technique, like part of the face perhaps...

- Randy

They all seem underexposed to me, especilaly the skin tones. Also, the last is very red, which is both common with dslr's and with baby skin, so it's realy common when shooting babies with dslr's. I'd either desaturate the red, or go b&w.

I love the last one of the baby feet...Great work! I think it just needed the exposure fixed! Here is what I came up with. I am a new member and dont know all the rules yet, so if I wasnt suposed to edit it let me know! :)
www.cjimage.blogspot.com
3926168859_0dac2d3a4a_o.jpg

The same with this one...exposure makes a world of difference!

3926217019_b688542b0b_o.jpg

Last edited:
Im probably just saying what everyone already has said but this will just reinforce some of the comments others have posted
#1 would have been a pretty good shot with some re touching as seen but was ruined by the off axis shot i know we are all artist here and what not but this wasnt the time to experiment
#2 The child looks almost upset that u are taking his image. Almost like u are a paparazzi and this is some movie star pissed that you just caught him snorten blow off a hookers behind. The binky in the mouth was not good aswell. The arm and the glowing light by his temple made me not pay attention to the subject. All in all this looks like u where at the mall and thought this kid was cute in his moms arms and took a quick snap shot.
#3 This is a lot better i think. The compostion is great and the background works for it. Great job
#4 Ive seen shots like these and I agree with OP on this one I like the idea u had going here but should have tried on maybe the babys hand holding daddys Finger or the face. Its kinda wierd to see hairy legs on a newborn too so thats distracting
Please take my comments with a grain of salt Im in no way shape or form a profesional Keep up the good work

Most reactions

Back