can someone tell me what this is?

auntieofjed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was searching for birds and they all seemed to go across the street, so i went across the street. Sat there for hours and seemed to get no shots of birds. so i started looking around, seeing if i could get a shot of something else. And I came across this stream, can anyone tell/guess why the stream is that color?

rivermuck.jpg

Looks like water with a high iron content. Maybe?

High iron content is possible...could be some type of algae growth as well. The photo is not all that clear: is it turbidity? Or is that some type of algae-like slime that is only on the rocks and bottom areas of the creek? What lies upstream?

this goes all the way upstream as far as i could find it

Not sure what you're referring to...clayey soil?

the water in general, the color of the water, the look of the water. it is unnatural for up here. i've never seen anything like this and i've lived up here for 13 years

the water in general, the color of the water, the look of the water. it is unnatural for up here. i've never seen anything like this and i've lived up here for 13 years

It's really hard to see in the photo.

Could be very muddy if there was a bad storm upstream, or some chemical dumped, probably should contact local authorites and report it if no other normal explination is found.

Was the water clear but brown? Could be a peaty area?

Edit: On second thoughts that's unlikely looking at the bank

yea it does look icky, and yea i did, they said it was just iron deposits being released into the soil, nothing hurtful unless somebody drank it.

Most reactions

Back