Can this be considerd an HDR?

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
I took multiple pictures... over and under exposed. HDR merged them in CS2 and then messed with curves, contrast and such till I got this. So in theory it is an HDR but does it look like an HDR or just a long exposed pic at night? BTW it is done with the light of the full moon and street lights at midnight.

hdrhouse.jpg

I tried something earlier to get some similar results, but I just took 2 pics. One exposed for the sky, and one for the house, and I added the properly exposed sky to the properly exposed house. I did it VERY fast just to get an idea, so it is SLOPPY PS work around the roofs. Just wanted to share. In a way, is this HDR?

typar.jpg

Thanks for your input.
Doug

2 shots are a merge, 3 images from 1 RAW i consider cheating, and it also shortchanges you, but whatever. I have my opinions.

They seem to work, but I don't know what lens you're using, but the side and corner sharpness is just abysmal.

2 shots are a merge, 3 images from 1 RAW i consider cheating, and it also shortchanges you, but whatever.

Hmmm, maybe I worded this wrong. This was taken from 4 different images. Not one.

They seem to work, but I don't know what lens you're using, but the side and corner sharpness is just abysmal.

Its a 14mm thats why.

Thanks.

2 shots are a merge, 3 images from 1 RAW i consider cheating,

Cheating? I do not get that at all. If it works and gives the desired effect, then it is OK.

All images displayed on the screen are not HDR anyway, but are 8-bit jpgs. So the road taken to get to this 8-bit image does not matter in the end.

I agree though, that both images displayed do not look HDR-ish too much.

ok. I just thought there was something seriously wrong with it.

Aelx has a good point,
I think HDR is just a catchy buzz word that doesn't really describe much more than what PS savvy photogs have been doing for a long time. I personally rather select which portion of the picture I want shadow detail , or highlights, or mid. But the "real" HDR's just blend everything pretty much taking away the highs and lows and just making it unrealistic ...At least what Ive seen.

this withstanding I love the airbrushed look I see thats done when its done a certain way.

I quite like these 2 shots, pretty cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back