can you fix a sticky lens?

TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys, so I bought a used 70-300mm lens, but it has a sticky zoom ring, and I was wondering if I can fix it somehow. help would be great. thanks.

TheKenTurner said:
hey guys, so I bought a used 70-300mm lens, but it has a sticky zoom ring, and I was wondering if I can fix it somehow. help would be great. thanks.

Take a video of it, NTSC MASTER KEN TURNER! LORD OF THE 1080P AND PURVEYOR OF FINE HIGH DEFINITION FOOTAGE.

Robin_Usagani said:
the rubber grip is sticky or the mechanism is sticky?

Mechanism

o hey tyler said:
Take a video of it, NTSC MASTER KEN TURNER! LORD OF THE 1080P AND PURVEYOR OF FINE HIGH DEFINITION FOOTAGE.

WAT

-Ken Turner

Zoom lenses are to complex be worked on at home. Taking one apart is easy enough. Putting it back together and getting everything aligned again is the issue.

You'll likely need to send it to a repair shop.

It was probably dropped. You should do a test at different focal length. You might see some softness.

Robin_Usagani said:
the rubber grip is sticky or the mechanism is sticky?

Mechanism

o hey tyler said:

WAT

-Ken Turner

KmH said:
Zoom lenses can't be worked on at home.

you'll likely need to send it to a repair shop.

Aw maaaan

-Ken Turner

If you mix up some epoxy cement and squeeze it in, it should seize up completely. That'll fix the "sticky" problem. ;-)

All kidding aside... can you describe the "sticky" problem more specifically? Does it zoom through the whole range? Are you have optical issues as a result of the problem?

If you mix up some epoxy cement and squeeze it in, it should seize up completely. That'll fix the "sticky" problem. ;-)

All kidding aside... can you describe the "sticky" problem more specifically? Does it zoom through the whole range? Are you have optical issues as a result of the problem?

Yup,. I can zoom from 70-300, but It just jumps between focal lengths, so I can't smoothly go from 100mm to 135mm

Yup,. I can zoom from 70-300, but It just jumps between focal lengths, so I can't smoothly go from 100mm to 135mm

Zoom lenses are to complex be worked on at home. Taking one apart is easy enough. Putting it back together and getting everything aligned again is the issue.

You'll likely need to send it to a repair shop.

Truer words were never typed and posted!!!!

molested_cow said:
I guess you shouldn't have bought it...

Did you try it in person before making the purchase or through the internet?

Tried it in person. It was a better price than anywhere else, and everything else on it is great. I'll mostly by using it for photos, and no video where I'll need to zoom, so it's just convenience, but not a real problem.

-Ken Turner

At least it's just the zoom ring, which hopefully isn't affecting your AF. If it doesn't bother you, then you found a good deal.

Buying used lens is always iffy, but I love it when i strike gold!

Most reactions

Back