Can You Help?

doorsmaniac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I Know nothing about Photography and was wondering if someone could tell me what type of photo this is. Its from the late 1800's, it has the photographers name and shop logo on it, it is also backed by cardboard. I am sure there is a specific name for this type of photo. I have many more. Thanks in advance.

Upload.jpg

doorsmaniac said:
I Know nothing about Photography and was wondering if someone could tell me what type of photo this is. Its from the late 1800's, it has the photographers name and shop logo on it, it is also backed by cardboard. I am sure there is a specific name for this type of photo. I have many more. Thanks in advance.

Upload.jpg

What do you mean by "type" here, exactly? It's a portrait, isn't it? ;-)

I have to say, for a photograph that old, it is in excellent condition: the subtle tonalities and the contrast have kept extremely well. It must have been kept out of light and damp.

Yes it is a Portrait, But I meant is it a Tin type (which I Know it is not). there has to be a name for it. Thanks for the compliment though

Well I did some Deeper Research....I Have Found Out They Are Called CDV Photos. I Have Yet To Find Out What that stands for........Does anyone here know?

Yeah, CDV=Carte De Visite (in French). Very popular at the beginning of last century.

jamespetts said:
What do you mean by "type" here, exactly? It's a portrait, isn't it? ;-)

I beg to differ. A portrait is a 'head & shoulders' of one person. Maybe including the torso.
Wikipedia: Portrait.
A portrait is what is called a 'bust' in sculpture.
Wikipedia: Bust.

A car ain't a train either, is it?

So the photo I'm seeing is a group photo. Not a portrait.

Thanks Mitica...Now I Know the History Behind them By googling that term!

W.Smith said:
I beg to differ. A portrait is a 'head & shoulders' of one person. Maybe including the torso.

I'll beg to differ with you and Wikipedia. Some of the finest portraits ever made in the history of photography were done by Arnold Newman - considered by many to be the "inventor" of environmental portraiture. Definitely not all head shots. I'll let you look him up.

I'll define a portrait as a photograph in which a person is the main subject - or a horse, if you're talking about horse portraiture. If you want to use group portrait for more than one person, that's fine by me. But full figure portraits or environmental portraits are portraits in my book and in the book of most photographers. To ignore them simply muddies the value of Wikipedia in my eyes.

W.Smith said:

If you had read the defination that you posted you would have seen that it says OFTEN head shots. But to say that a photograph of a person that includes more than head and shoulders is not a portrait is not what wikipedia.org said.

Hmm... And I thought doorsmaniac needed help with defining the technical type of photograph, not the style. Am I missing something here?...;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back