Can you mix mono lights and speedlights??

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just putting some lighting gear on a credit card (all you Dave Ramsey followers close your eyes now)

I want mono lights for my "serious" work and I want a speed light to take to the park with the kids and use around the house So I am either getting 2 moonlights or one of each.

Will I be able to use a speed light with GN 110 as a fill light or rim light with a 300ws moonlight? Or will it be too dim?

Yes you can mix..

You can trigger any flash with any flash if the receiving flash has a slave eye, and almost every flash does. You can't trigger using TTL because of the pre-flash, unless the monolight has a pre-flash sensor. A Speedlight can easily be a kicker, background or hair light with a bigger light as the main. It may use a lot of battery and not recycle as fast, but it works.

I've mixed before. The results weren't all that different. As long as the white balance is the same, which they should be since speed lights and monolights are balanced to daylight.

You can mix but you can't share speedring mounted modifiers. That being said, you can do a lot with one strobe and several modifiers to make it look like several strobes, but for me, I prefer having matched hardware on a set of strobes that allows my swap components around very systematically. My speedlights are for on location work and I never actually use them in conjunctions with my strobes.

I used iShoot (eBay) radio triggers that had 2 hot shoes on each radio trigger.
That allowed having 2 hot shoe flash units on each light stand.

Two speedlights at full power deliver 2x the light. Or you can set each speedlight to 1/2 power, get light power equivalent to 1 speedlight at full power, but have a faster re-cycle time because the 2 units are at 1/2 power.
I was mostly after the reduced re-cycle time, but having 2x the light power often also came in handy.

Most reactions

Back