Can you mount 35mm lenses to a medium format camera?

jjm1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The question is as stated in the title. I guess a further question is should you try to mount a 35mm lens to a medium format camera?

Somebody somewhere probably makes an adapter for that however I would not expect great results. The image circle from the smaller format lens would not cover the entire MF frame. The flange distance of 35mm SLR's is very likely shorter than that of the MF camera so any adapter would need some glass elements to reach infinity thereby impacting image quality.

Um, no, no you shouldn't. You'd have to get a pretty long lens to have an image circle large enough to cover your film and besides most medium format are the equal or better of most 35mm lenses.

Depending on what you're shooting you could probably just buy whatever focal length you are after for as much as you'd spend to get an adapter or even cheaper than building one.

"NO", but with some exceptions: some longer focal length lenses for 35mm cameras have removable heads that can be used in a separately available focus helical for the medium format camera.

These are rare- I think Nikon made such accessories for the Bronica to use lenses made for the RF series of cameras. I think they were the 13.5cm focal length lenses. I'll bet the Leica 135 Hektor would work as well.

Would some tilt/shift pc-e lens work on certain sizes without using it's tilt/shift functions as they have a larger image circle. It would be waste of money unless you already have one.

Cool. Thanks for your help guys. The reason I ask is because I've been starting reading about and subsequently become very interested in entering medium format from 35mm. With my DSLR, I have an adapter that allows all my SLR lenses to be used. I was just curious if this use could be further extended, but I'm glad to know that it would not work before I go about purchasing any gear. Since I'll be a first timer and I've got you guys here already, do you have an camera recommendations for a beginner? I've been looking at yashicamat 124's as a good entrance into medium format. Any opinions on this? Better recommendations? Keep in mind that the price range of a yashicamat is approximately where I want to begin (no big investments right off the bat).

The Yashica TLRs are a very good way to enter medium format. It doesn't have to be a 124 or 124G though. Any Yashica TLR in good condition, especially if it has a Yashinon taking lens, will give good results.

Last edited:
I have had a Rolleicord IVB, a Yashica D, 3 Yashica 124, Richoflex, Ciroflex and Minolta Autocord. The reason for the variety of 124 Yashicas is that not all lenses are equal. I wanted to make big enlargements and found that a couple were not as sharp. I kept the best for myself and sold the rest. Unless yiu are really looking at super enlargements they should all be good. When I was doing weddings I always carried a spare camera and flash just in case. The Minolta was super sharp but I could not get used to the focusing on the bottom of the taking lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back