Can you sell prints of boats?

photowilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can you sell prints of boats if they have the boat name and number on the side of the boat? Like a boat siting at a public dock.

Thanks

Yes.

At least, in the UK you can. I do. If you live elsewhere, it might be different.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I am in the USA, thanks folks!

If you want to sell images of the boats as art prints usually a photo release (or in this case a property release) is not needed. For retail (mugs, T shirts, etc.) or commercial use (ads, business, etc.) a release is necessary. Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for info. on releases and licensing usage.

If you plan to sell online I'd think about where you might post photos and what the Terms & Conditions of the site allows - it could be that you're agreeing to let them use/sell your photos to third parties. I'd think about having releases signed if you sell online.

Yep.
Here in the US it depends on the usage.
Prints sold as art is considered an editorial use - up to a ill-defined point.
Put that same photo on mugs, t-shirts, etc is then a commercial use and different legal considerations apply.
Property release and Right of Publicity laws varies by state, unlike copyright law which is Federal law and applies equally to all states.

If you make the photos from a private dock the dock owner may prohibit the making of photos from their property.
If you make the photos from public property again different legal considerations apply.

Boat names cannot be copyrighted, but they can be trademarked.
www.copyright.gov
www.USPTO.gov

In other words, you should consult with a qualified attorney.
An online photography forum on the Internet is an unreliable place to be seeking legal advice.

Most reactions

Back