Can you tell me why the model does not like the photos?

OK here goes- i want you first 2 know I think your great and great job- here's a list of things I learned and think may help you- first find online pose graphics you share with her and let her choose the poses before hand- this way the shoot is scripted and she can practice ahead of time you will have her very relaxed on shoot day and less directing for you- when shooting the Female forms- POSE THE HAIR -always long hair behind one shoulder normally the right OR BOTH SHOULDER or pony tails experiment for best look-she looks very young and ears prominent so I would behind one shoulder the hair down never up-- always one shoulder forward it make the body slimmer- Stick head slightly forward- this makes the natural sag under the chin disappear- hands should be seen only from the side- no flat backs- no flat palms- this distracts attention from the face because two large shapes in one frame- Lift the arm away from the body- bi-cept looks larger when resting on the rib cage - move arms away from waist to not obscure the view of the hour glass waistline- Don't show the whites of the eyes- get as much pupil as possible- on side shots the point of the nose stays IN the silhouette line of the face - not poking over the silhouette line- STILL WITH ME- JUST A FEW MORE -PROMISE OK? DONT WORRY YOU GOT THIS AND WILL WOW HER YOUR NEXT SHOOT- head ever so slightly tipped down and eyes just upward a little. Just saying it sounds sexy that why the pose is too- And just relax the mouth and reveal teeth- do not smile it stretches the mouth and makes the face seem larger at the cheek bones. And if a kiss pose just lightly purse the lips - do not pucker for a kiss--- as for location AND WARBROBE I would ask to hear her music collection on her phone the softest song she loves - make the location and wardobe her deep creative passion- appropriate for the song -GET HER INTO HER FEELINGS before the shoot AND THEY WILL LEAD YOU TO WHAT SHE REALLY IS IN FORM IN (clothing) AND WHERE AT- and play her song it while shooting- YOUR GOAL IS TO CAPTURE HER ESSENCE- LET HER EXPLAIN AND YOU LEARN WHAT IT IS- PUT HER IN HER ELEMENT AND USE THE TIPS HERE TO WATCH HER UNFOLD BEFORE YOUR CAMERA- REMEMBER, LET HER HAVE FUN WITH THE SHOOT BECAUSE IT IS FUN!!!! Not work - the mood should be uplifting and playful- MOST IMPORTANT BECAUSE THIS WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT TRANSFER INTO BODY LANGUAGE AND FASCIAL EXPRESSIONS AND YOU CAN LIE TO THE GRAND JURY BUT NOT TO A CAMERA!!!! p.s. nothing more important than your tone WHILE SHOOTING and directions don't say- turn this way - look that way- instead your tone should be reaffirming and rewarding- that looks great -awsome- amazing- looking over there really works- this will make her optimistic and adventurous in positioning herself without directions -----ALSO USE A REFLECTING disk TO BOUNCE LIGHT UPON THE HARSH SHADOWS UNDER CHIN AND BODY- you can do it- listen first to your subjects heart first, prepare second, shoot third- as easy as 1, 2, 3.. You got this --- can't wait to see those photos (if client says its OK to:) °_* click!

That's so much posing info, I would like to incorporate to my next shooting, if I can lol... Great info... Thanks

The background in these are the biggest problem. The ambient is flat, so you could have gone for ambient light only (shallow dof) with a little touch of flash to bring her more out of the surroundings. If you got a flash that can allow you to shoot at f1,8 that is :) Posing is nice, but to much elbow in camera. And your light modifier creates hard shadows, wich don't work with the ambeint light. Its easy to get soft nice shadow with a 22" beautydish. So I'm wondering what kind of modifier your using.

I used 16in beauty dish with grids ...
Also I directed her to lift elbow to play with her hair such that

I think she looks as annoyed as she probably is for having to drive 1.5 hours and then do a photoshoot under a tree in the rain. She probably likes the 1 and 2 as she looks the least annoyed. There is only minimal you could do other than tell her to stop looking so annoyed!

I may have to agree with you even I do not know that for sure

Im not feeling these. The exposures look odd with her being dramatically lit and the background being rather dark. The background is boring too. Nothing about these outfits says, "stroll in the park time." This girl needed a nice metro local. Its not that your photos are bad but they are far from hip and cool. Sorry bro.

By the way, I felt I was talking and taking photos all the time, kept pretty busy, I am Afraid of silent moment during the shoot. That may make the models not feel comfortable?

Julian

Just relax and be yourself. The model probably did get uncomfortable if there was never a quiet moment. Nothing wrong with talking to her while you shoot mind you, but make it casual - conversational. Don't force it.

Im not feeling these. The exposures look odd with her being dramatically lit and the background being rather dark. The background is boring too. Nothing about these outfits says, "stroll in the park time." This girl needed a nice metro local. Its not that your photos are bad but they are far from hip and cool. Sorry bro.

No problem. I am pretty tough when facing constructive critics!

this is how the pros do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gathering you are fairly new to photographing models? Maybe she needs to manage her expectations a little more? For one thing, the model is expecting to be blown away regardless of what level of talent she has. I think using a 16in beauty dish in this setting was not the right modifier. It has a narrow beam spread and if you're not balancing the light from the dish with your ambient light, you get the results shown above. This is one instance where a light meter pays off due to a quick reading and settings adjustment. Also, always take a look at your background. Park benches, walkways, trees, etc often distract from the subject. Putting a subject against a tree takes practice to pull off. Granted, the conditions diminished your ability to move around. This is a great learning experience. You can only go uphill from here.

I'm gathering you are fairly new to photographing models? Maybe she needs to manage her expectations a little more? For one thing, the model is expecting to be blown away regardless of what level of talent she has. I think using a 16in beauty dish in this setting was not the right modifier. It has a narrow beam spread and if you're not balancing the light from the dish with your ambient light, you get the results shown above. This is one instance where a light meter pays off due to a quick reading and settings adjustment. Also, always take a look at your background. Park benches, walkways, trees, etc often distract from the subject. Putting a subject against a tree takes practice to pull off. Granted, the conditions diminished your ability to move around. This is a great learning experience. You can only go uphill from here.

Lol yes I am new to photographing models.
I used a beauty dish with grids , which makes light even more narrow.... And I used light meter, but just for the flash, not for ambient light. I just wanted background dark and that's what happened. Did not see a problem until later...

And yes, it's a uphill learning experience. I feel bad after shooting most of the time because I I always felt I can do better, and I should fix this and that so on. Then I get excited when I edit the photos in ps and forgot what I should do next time... How funny is that.

I feel like the reason she is not fond of the photos is because her eyes are dead in almost all of them. The second photo is the only one I get a sense of emotion, and the first one has just a tiny bit more than the ones she did not like. However, the emotion is the first too isn't much either. The eyes are really important, and I think perhaps the placement of her hands is also an issue.

I think the photography is great. You can only direct a model so much- she needs to take that direction and turn it into a beautiful pose. She is relying on her beauty to model, but there is more to it than that.

Good job. :)

go to pinterest download some poses, print them and use them as cue cards for those with no idea.... if it is raining, find somewhere more exciting than a tree.....why not a church... a hall, even out in the rain itself... you let yourself and the model down by not having a plan B...C....D...
If you shoot... plan... cover your butt

Most reactions

New Topics

Back