Can you use a T50 flash on a Rebel T3?

ifucanaffordme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im assuming the answer is no, but i figured i'd ask anyway. Guess im wishing it will so i dont have to buy a new one :lol: If i do, does anyone have any suggestions on what flash to purchase for a Rebel T3? Thank you

There was a Canon camera with a model number T50...but I've never heard of a flash with that designation.
Or are you talking about the flash that was made/sold with the T50, the Speedlite 244T?

Firstly, the old flash will fit onto the hotshoe of the new camera. The thing to watch for, is that you don't want to fry the flash circuit of your camera, with a flash that has a high trigger voltage.
I'm not certain, but I believe the allowable voltage on that camera is likely 250 volts. That flash was designed to be used with old Canon film cameras, which had a much lower rating...possibly as low as 6 volts.

So I would think that there is no way this flash would fry that camera. (but don't blame me if it does).

Besides the voltage, there is the issue of compatibility. The camera can tell the flash when to fire...that's not a problem. But I doubt that it will communicate with the camera like a modern flash will. That likely means that you won't have an automatic 'TTL' setting...and would have to figure out how much flash power you'll need, some other way. I'd guess that the flash will just fire at full power, unless it has some sort of manual power adjustment.

If you want a flash that will work seamlessly with your camera. I'd suggest something from Canon's line up. Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Speedlite Flash Lineup

The 430EXII would be my recommendation, unless (of course) you can easily afford the 600EX-RT.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back