Can your camera do this?

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I present to you the camera we just bought at work. Here's a picture. Try and guess it's purpose. No it's NOT waterproof. And to give you an indication of the size of it it's bigger than a 1D or D3 and in width wise is probably slightly bigger than a Hassey H3D. Don't be fooled by the buttons. You can't reach the shutter release button with your hand on the grips on the side. (The person who designed that needs to be belted over the head with this camera, ... or probably was)

file_14.jpg

The casing and the picture on the back of the camera suggest to me it is a camera to be used in areas where there are risks of explosions.

This camera is used in hazardous locations. It is designed, not to cause the explosion.

I shoot photos of electrical installations. I was at a plant with hazardous locations, and they would not let me take my camera on the walkaround.
I do not use an expensive camera for my industry shots, as I generally use the images for PPT. (I have 85,000 images in 800 folders ;))

(Class 1, Div 1) or (Class 1, Div 2)?

Damn you all cheated ! :) You know I've shown this to most of the people I know, and they didn't get it. I'm surprised to see some people. Though next time I'm changing the URL so there's no cheating ;)

Ok bonus question: How does it prevent explosions? :)

I live in Australia. It's a Zone IIC T4 with ex'd protection. Thus I think if you convert that to wonky American standards it's Class 1, Div 1 suitable for hazardous areas with a flammable atmosphere under normal operation.

I live in Australia. It's a Zone IIC T4 with ex'd protection. Thus I think if you convert that to wonky American standards it's Class 1, Div 1 suitable for hazardous areas with a flammable atmosphere under normal operation.

Kangaroo jelly?

-

Damn you all cheated ! :)

No, I didn't. Just the look of the camera and mainly the picture on the back gave it away from me. I worked in explosive areas before and the light fittings were similarly enclosed.

No, I didn't. Just the look of the camera and mainly the picture on the back gave it away from me.

Some people cheated :)

I noticed it comes in a wonderful shade of orange as well....

Yep ours is the orange one. I thought it was a pretty ugly choice of colour till I got home and realised my Nikonos-V is the same shade of orange, and now I like it. :lol:

Things were so much simpler in the days of film. You either used a clockwork movie camera like a 16 mm Bolex or any mechanical shutter camera - I used a Nikkormat with the meter battery removed when working in coal mines.

Just a normal flameproof enclosure with a standard production camera inside? Ie an enclosure that can withstand an explosion inside it without rupturing, and without allowing the escape of flame/gas hot enough to ignite explosive mixtures outside the enclosure. It's not totally dissimilar to the way a miner's flame lamp works, or the flame trap on a diesel engine - stop flame from inside reaching the outside.

The alternative, not applicable for this camera, would be intrinsically safe - ie the circuitry is proven and certified to be incapable of initiating an explosion. That's why I had to remove the battery from my Nikkormat and why battery powered stopwatches and wristwatches weren't allowed. It wasn't that they were considered capable of causing an explosion, but that they were not proven and certified as such.

I found it a fascinating subject when shooting underground in coal mines.

Best,
Helen

Things were so much simpler in the days of film. You either used a clockwork movie camera like a 16 mm Bolex or any mechanical shutter camera - I used a Nikkormat with the meter battery removed when working in coal mines.

Just a normal flameproof enclosure with a standard production camera inside? Ie an enclosure that can withstand an explosion inside it without rupturing, and without allowing the escape of flame/gas hot enough to ignite explosive mixtures outside the enclosure. It's not totally dissimilar to the way a miner's flame lamp works, or the flame trap on a diesel engine - stop flame from inside reaching the outside.

The alternative, not applicable for this camera, would be intrinsically safe - ie the circuitry is proven and certified to be incapable of initiating an explosion. That's why I had to remove the battery from my Nikkormat and why battery powered stopwatches and wristwatches weren't allowed. It wasn't that they were considered capable of causing an explosion, but that they were not proven and certified as such.

I found it a fascinating subject when shooting underground in coal mines.

Best,
Helen

This brings an interesting question to mind. To me anyway.

I did a lot of shooting in caves and underground stone quarries once upon a time and the only risk there was just a few tons of rocks falling on your head, lol. No explosion problem so I used a flash. Also used a helmet with a gas light to get around so, open flame.

What did you use for lighting in the mines?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back