Candid Family Shoot Today

billydoo73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I have been shooting for awhile, but decided to start my own business recently. Building my portfolio. Mostly weddings, but I love Candids and Portraits. Like many, I love to shoot in a Photojournalistic style. I try and shoot mostly available light in the field. Today's shoot was at 11am with Sun pretty high so the lighting was tough. When I needed it, my SB-900 pulled a fast one and shut down on me! However, it was my fault as I was in Manual Mode and had the flash set to 1/1 firing wirelessly with a tripod. I should have been at 1/4 power tops. Oh well. Relatively new to the business side of things so take a peek.

I shot today with a D700 and 24-70 f/2.8 and used a D7000 for some tight compression shots with a 70-300 VR (great lens for the price).

The shoot is in my "Galleries" section of my site under Jason, Mel, and Family.

Chris Bilodeau PhotographyThanks!

-Chris

My only thing, is there's WAY too much focus on the lil girl. Yeah, shes cute and all, but almost half of the photos are either of her, or her with Mom, a few with Dad. Then maybe a handful of shots of the boys. And in one of the shots of the boys, it looks like the kid with longer hair (on the left) is flipping you off inconspicuously and doing it on purpose. The look on his face says it all. The photos themselves arent bad. And there may be more that you gave them than whats in the Gallery. If so,...I'd switch some out so theres more variety.

The parents were focused more on the girl as they did this before with the boys. this was her first shoot. As far as the "flip off" shot. no. not at all. he was really nice and into it. i have more shots of him by trees and such loving the shoot and following directions, etc. it just looks that way.

BUT...if he is chucking me the bird, then that is just too funny!!! LOLOL.

One flash? Really? :confused: The three most important words in the photography business: "up", "gear" and "back"; I'll let you put them in the right order. Anyway, that explains the lighting issues; I agree with comments relating to the "daughter-centric" nature of the gallery, and will add that I see a number of WB issues as well.

i had an SB-600 as backup, but it cannot be shot wirelessly. WB is perfect IMHO. It's what I was going after. my theory is to capture mood, not TECHNICAL perfection. i will purposely mess with balance for my art. but thank you. tirediron, i shoot people, not buildings and fighter jets!!! :)

...WB is the last thing i care about!!! LOL

Last edited:
i have to add...

go to Cliff Mautner's website (top 10 wedding shooter in the world as most of you probably know). there are so many hot and cold shots...as well as way too dense shadows. But he creates Art.

My advice (for what it is worth) ...you have to try and remove the "technical" aspect of photography from your mind. paint a picture. Art. Color outside the lines and create a mood. If your client wants 18% Gray Balance then great! I won't be a good fit for that type of person. i do what i do and if you love it, you pay me. if you don't, hire someone that always carries a gray card and light meter. there is NOTHING wrong with that. we are all different with different tastes. some will love my style, others might not.

...but I respect all opinions and thanks!

i had an SB-600 as backup, but it cannot be shot wirelessly. WB is perfect IMHO. It's what I was going after. my theory is to capture mood, not TECHNICAL perfection. i will purposely mess with balance for my art. but thank you. tirediron, i shoot people, not buildings and fighter jets!!! :)

there will never be a photo that everyone in the world likes. cant please everyone. but i like the wb, it has good taste. keep up the good work!

there will never be a photo that everyone in the world likes. cant please everyone. but i like the wb, it has good taste. keep up the good work!

thanks! hey, i am not the best photographer in the world. who is? that would be a long thread! ;-)

i do what i do and repeat. if you like it then it is a win-win. i hate a lot of my shots! i know when i am good, but more importantly, i know when i am bad. i had a few really bad shots today when i forgot to back off from +3.0 EC!!! Wow, it was like looking at white paper...

Lol um the SB-600 can be fired wirelessly. Not sure where you got that info from. WB is a bit off on my monitor too not enough to probably warrant attention from the parents but will most definitely be talked about here. Honestly if you want serious critique for a set of family shots pic your three or four strongest from that day and post those here. But be prepared to hear TECHNICAL CRITIQUE, I am compiling 40 some images for my accreditation and C&C bashing and the three things the judges look at when critiquing are #1. Technical profficiency, #2. Mood & Emotion #3. Naming of the Image. That is all about art so be prepared to keep hearing WB etc.

hi mwcfarms...i use wireless transmitters into PC sync (Paul C Buff). SB-600 has no PC sync...needs to be triggered other ways.

the WB is "off," but i like it. TECHNICALLY, yes, it is off. i fixed a few, but i like to keep a yellow/warm tone in some images.

i am not really looking for a hard critique "this time." i am happy with my stuff. when i am on the fence, i would want advice. i just thought i would share. i am humble enough to not think my way is THE WAY! it's just my way...people's tastes are all different. thanks for looking!!!!

I use triggers for my SB-600 and used cheapie cactus 5 triggers you just get a shoe for it with the pin hole and it works fine. I get that your not looking for hard critique but you did post this in the business professional gallery which is great so we can get away from the beginners gallery but it is going to result in harsher critique. C'est la vie.

Last edited:
I use triggers for my SB-600 and used cheapie cactus 5 triggers you just get a shoe for it with the pin hole and it works fine.

yes, but compared to PC sync, is it as reliable? maybe it is, but i use triggers for my studio strobes as well so i am just used to it.

I use it both for my AB's and for the SB-600 and now I have a 900 that I am sure it will work with. I mean if your using cybersyncs from Paul C Buff you should have no issues.

I use it both for my AB's and for the SB-600 and now I have a 900 that I am sure it will work with. I mean if your using cybersyncs from Paul C Buff you should have no issues.

my only issue is the 900 likes to shut off if it gets too hot! 1/1 power for too many shots is my fault i guess. but, it was sure not fun today!!!

i had an SB-600 as backup, but it cannot be shot wirelessly.
What???? The SB600 works just fine in slave mode; both the 700 and 7000 can function as the commander using the pop-up flash.

WB is perfect IMHO. It's what I was going after. my theory is to capture mood, not TECHNICAL perfection. i will purposely mess with balance for my art. but thank you. tirediron, i shoot people, not buildings and fighter jets!!! :)
Fair enough. I've shot both people and fighter jets, not to mention animals, machines, and just about everything in between. I would submit that technical quality (since nothing can ever truly be perfect) can be critical in achieving artistic quality. I have generally found that most of my clients don't appreciate green-toned skin.

:confused: Okay...

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back