Candlelight

KrisztinaK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this was really my first "real" attempt at photographing candles, flames, etc. Other than the obligatory birthday cake and campfire snaps.

I took this for my 2013 theme challenge (Fire/Flame).

Any and all CC would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure if I got any of 'em "right. "

$IMG_0322_web.jpg

$IMG_0325_web.jpg

Good compositions, and I like the black background and the warm cast. The flame is a little overexposed, which is very difficult to avoid, but the best way might be to shoot raw and then process the file twice, once for the flame and once for the rest of it, and then merge the images in PS. Here's a link I found in a quick search - there are probably better guides:

Double-Process RAW For Better Tonality | DPmag.com

If the difference between the brightness of the flame and of the candle is too great, this may not do much. It probably only adds a couple of stops to the range you can get in the final image. However, it's a good technique to know anyhow.

I appreciate that link. I am going to re-shoot this with the information you have provided.

The flame was blown in the RAW file, so I am thinking that range is definitely the culprit here.

Thanks again for your reply.

I honestly get really tired of seeing candles and flames....just as much as sunsets. However, I do like number 1. Nicely done.

Thank you.

I hope you won't mind when I re-shoot and re-post 'em. :)

I agree. #1 :thumbup:

I honestly get really tired of seeing candles and flames....just as much as sunsets.
It's their first attempt. They're not tired yet. : )

A good learning experience and a great link posted.

Awwww, thank you.

I understand though, there are certain photos I feel the same way about.
I'm sure I will add candles and sunsets to ny list too, eventually.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back