Candy Makeup Shoot

LoveBKphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Fun shoot I did with a friend! I would love feed back from you guys!
Thanks
Brooke

$image-2941014975.jpg

$image-4248198236.jpg

$image-2213010923.jpg

$image-3967150408.jpg

$image-1352680254.jpg

$image-175943885.jpg

$image-381438794.jpg

$image-4267355296.jpg

General critique (cause there are a lot of images):

I'm not a fan of the soft-focus feel, or whatever you wanna call it. Also, some of them are too bright. The placement of the nerds by her nose is kind of... I dunno. I think they could have been placed differently. She's got cool hair though and the color palate of the makeup is good. :)

I like the concept, have played around with doing Valentine's boudoir along the same line. I think the candy needs better placement, as Emily said. Maybe try to use it more as makeup, rather than as an accessory. I'm thinking one or two colors on her lips, then the others acting as eyeshadow.

This is a first try with the candy makeup so it isn't prefect but I really felt how they turned out was interesting and beautiful....I did her hair, make up and candy placement. Then I did all the photos. The original plan was to do more of the candy but it was quite difficult to keep it glued to her, so we went with a little less. I definitely want to do this kind of shoot again it was a lot if fun!

I think for an experiment, you were definitely successful!! What did you use for glue?

Yeah, this shot was a last min thing. We were chillin at my house and said lets do a fun shoot...lol
We used eyelash glue for the candy...

4 and 5 in particular are way overexposed
the white balance seems inconsistent between them - you should generally use manual mode when doing studio shoots for consistent lighting and WB without having to fiddle with settings, since the light is staying the same.

I would have liked to see more varied poses, although maybe you just didn't have the wardrobe / candy supply for the rest of her body or whatever. Fair enough.

I would dial back the soft focus effect too by a factor of 4 or so (if you're using 50% transparency on a blurred layer, more like 85% I'd say)

I think that the extreme detail might not be such a hot idea with this sort of thing. The more theatrical style makeup you've done here isn't supposed to stand up to close inspection, and it's downright unattractive in a few of these. Which doesn't mean it's BAD it's just designed to be looked at from 1 inch away, ya know?

I'd consider angles that push the more dramatic makeup back into the softer areas, and give us her lips, her fingernails, her hair, the candy, and let the stuff that doesn't like to be so up close and personal be a punchy, but soft, background. You did that in a couple of 'em, and that's great! A hair more DoF, I'd say, but a good idea.

Yeah, this shot was a last min thing. We were chillin at my house and said lets do a fun shoot...lol
We used eyelash glue for the candy...

It's definitely a fun idea. I just don't like soft focus processing because it makes it seem so dated... like... cheesy 60's glamour. :lol:

If you hadn't processed them that way, I'd like them better. The few in the middle would still be a tad bit too hot though on the light.

Keep shooting, and keep experimenting :)

A little dab of honey might work better than the eyelash glue. If you decide to do it on her lips in the future, it would certainly taste better too :)

Thanks for the Feed back guys....

I do tend to like the soft focus in them but that of course is all a matter of opinion....

The brightness in a few of them I would change a little...but then a few others I really like them being overexposed....

A little dab of honey might work better than the eyelash glue. If you decide to do it on her lips in the future, it would certainly taste better too :)

You think that would stick?

I sort of imagine the nerds just ... sort of... slowly sliding down her face with honey. :lol:

Also... J... "The only thing worse than making smart ass remarks on internet forums..." I'm the second worst thing on an internet forum to you? :sexywink: :heart:

I'm also in favor of losing the soft focus approach. I also think I'd like this better if the colors had more oomph to them! Nerds and her eye makeup. And the one side just looks like she has a huge nerds gash on her cheek rather than artsy placement.

I like the photo. Especially the makeup and hair. Not fond of the candy. Without the face candy gives a feel of modern pinup style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back